Band-In-A-Box

Thunderbroom

• Members

I was thinking about picking this up as I want to ply my new found theory skills by working writing something by writing actual notes on staff paper instead of noodling with my bass or guitar. I used a demo version years ago and thought it was kinda neat, so I visited their site and apparently they have a new version out.

I wasn't looking for this feature but could be kinda cool, don't you think:

The amazing "Chords from MP3" feature (Audio Chord Wizard) automatically figures out the chords from any MP3, WAV or WMA audio file, and displays them in Band-in-a-Box. Just load in any MP3 file and you'll instantly see the chords. The Audio Wizard also figures out tempo, bar lines, key and fine-tuning from the MP3, WAV or WMA audio file.

Link

• Members

I'd try that feature out first if you can, maybe they offer a demo. In my experience, automatic transcriber gadgets leave a LOT to be desired.

That being said, BIAB is a great practice tool (I use version 9) - and if you're into playing jazz standards, you can get a file containing all of the "New Real Book" tunes in BIAB format.

• Members

I'd try that feature out first if you can, maybe they offer a demo. In my experience, automatic transcriber gadgets leave a LOT to be desired.

That being said, BIAB is a great practice tool (I use version 9) - and if you're into playing jazz standards, you can get a file containing all of the "New Real Book" tunes in BIAB format.

I'll second this motion!! I have, I think it's called Senzio or Sergio or something like that. I mistakes other harmonics like from guitar riffs and stuff I guess and interprets them as chords, so usually the real chords are there but with all these other chords in between that don't seem to make any sense. Then you can edit them out, but in the time you figure out what belongs and what doesn't I could have taken them off by ear faster.

I'm not saying that the program you're looking at might not be a lot better, I'm not familiar with it, but just saying be warned to be careful.

• Members

Got this reply from a long-time user of BIAB:

Works pretty good on simple "pop" and "rock" chord songs.

Occasionally will miss a chord or make it not the right chord but easily figured out.

Works not so hot on complex jazz chording songs.

Has a bit of trouble with suspended acoustic guitar chords prevalent in rock musics, too, those chords with the held open E and the like while change the underlying notes/chords.

Very good at grabbing bass lines, though, and this can make it worthwhile in itself as you can transfer that which the ACW grabs directly into a BIAB layout and then correct whatever needs to be corrected on the chord grid there. A real timesaver in that you don't have to count bars or layout the song manually.

• Members

My theory instructor thinks this program is great but recommends Finale for working on sheet music. He thought that the Audio Chord Wizard is an awesome feature if it works.

This would be cool if it works.

Many tracks use weird chords that are hard to figure out from listening.

I don't know how it would get past the overdubs though.

If you should try it let me know how it works.

Pt

Archived