Help w/ Bass Tone from a Guitarist!

vrm

• Members

hey guys, I am not Bass savy as I'm a guitarist. I just want to help our Bassist get a better, more appropriate tone for our band. Here's the problem, he's a mix style-wise of Flea-style slap and Justin Chancelllor? from Tool. So I'm guessing tone-wise he's going for a mix of the 2 ( Clarity for Flea slap, yet dirty for the Tool-ish stuff). What would you guys recommend as an ideal rig for someone seeking that tone. Let me fill you in on his rig. First he's got a Ibanez Bass, not sure of the model # but I know it has active p-ups or atleast active electronics as it requires a 9V, this goes straight into an old SS Carvin 350W head (sounds too sterile to me) into a nice Trace Elliot 800W 4ohm 4x12 bass cabinet. Now all else aside, I know he won't part w/ the Trace and probably not the ibanez. I'm just asking because to me the hallmark bass tone is Fender p-bass and Ampeg SVT tubes, but I doubt that's gonna happen. Is there a happy medium? You can check us out and here the bass @ http://myspace.com/subjectus

Sorry so long

• Members

Maybe he should run a Traynor YBA-200 with the Trace cab? I wouldn't part with the Trace cab either. If you guys aren't overly loud then the Traynor should give a good mix of clean and grit for a really really good price.

Then he should upgrade bass to something else :D

• Members

maybe look into one of the sansamp pedals ?

listening to the recordings on your myspace it just sounds like his bass needs a little punch ( and mabe a bit more gain)and the sansamps seem to be a popular choice for getting that svt-ish growl from different amps.

• Members

I agree with the Sansamp pedal (or reasonble facsimile) suggestion. Not a huge investment, and it might be all he needs to get a little grit in his sound. I did the same with my previous amp which had a great clean "Flea" tone, but couldn't get dirty.

He could always go the route of a nicer amp with a tube pre if he wants to ditch his head for a new one.

If he likes the bass he should keep it. He should definitely keep the Trace cab.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys, but for the reocrd what didi you thnk of his tone? Take in mind that the demo wasn't recorded w/ the Carvin, but was re-amped through an Ampeg SVT-Classic (I think, it was all tube but unsure of the model) and a Marshall 4-12 Jcm 800 guitar cab. The reason I'm addin all this is this actually our 2nd demo, but 1st w/ vocals and both times we've had troubles gettng bass tones. It seems our bassist plays w/ some sort of unorthodox technique that either engineer can dial in due to the slap. there's always had to be some compromise ending w/ the engineer saying " that's the best I can do" I have been thinking recently that maybe his bass just isn't setup for his unique style of play. Is there any reason to believe that?

• Members

I'm biased, but i'd tell him to get a GB750 head on top of that rig, solve a lot of problems with one damn sexy stone...i mean rig...:D

oh and find a better engineer, doesn't matter how weird a guys technique is, if the engineer is half good he'll find a way to record it decently, its what you're bloody well paying him for!

• Members

He's always micing the cab alone when he records?

Damn... Try a good DI mixed with the mic'ed signal. That tends to help.

As for amps, try the "official HCBF budget rig." Sansamp RBI and a QSC RMX 850. AT 4 ohms bridged it puts out 830W. That should be plenty of power for clean head room and the RBI is like a sansamp, but bigger and with a mids knob.

Good Luck,

Tim

• Members

get him a big muff, that'll dirty up his sound :D

(i'm joking)

the bass looks great, afaik its an Ibanez SRX. nice basses. :thu:

trace cabs are great so that should stay. so maybe you should bring him to a guitar store and try out some of these pedals. the mxr, the sansamp, and anything else nice he sees there. :)

• Members

Have him replace his head with a Gk. Should be plenty. Gk's got enough growly type dirty sound for me mostly.

I pretty much just use my MXR for a little warmth if I want it, or really nasty distortion if warranted. If I had to choose between a crappy carvin head and a either an mxr m80 or a sansamp, or a GK by itself, I'd take the GK.

As everyone else's said the Trace cab sounds great.

Archived