2x12" vs 4x10"

funkyD

• Members

hey everyone, im new to this forum, so hello....:wave:

i am about the buy a bass head and a cabinet, because i have out grown my 120watt 1x12" combo

i am considering a Hartke 4x10 cab and a Hartke 3500 head, this combination will run 240 watts @ 8 ohms .... total price $525

i also have the option of purchasing a Genz Benz 400 head, with 2 Eminence Kappa Pro 12"s .... these are in custom speaker boxes .... 13 ply birch, braced and glued and screwed, 120 screws in each box. the Genz Benz will put out 330 watts @ 4 ohms with the 12s.... total price $600

i want to know which rig sounds like a better deal and which configuration is best: 4x10 or 2x12 ?

i play in a jam-rock, psychedelic, classic rock band with a very loud drummer.

the combo i play now isnt loud enough for even a medium sized bar or outdoor gig...... thanks for any suggestions and input!

• Members

Hey Funky D, 'sup! Welcome to the forum!

Gotta say that I haven't played through anything that you're looking at buying but I do have a Genz Benz head and it sounds pretty sweet. Not sure about the cabs though, they sound like they're pretty heavy. Are they home made cabs? Haven't played through any Hartke stuff in a while, they don't have the best rep around here though.

• Members

i played my buddy's hartke 250 watt combo at our gig saturday night, and i like the tone, but it was a very small bar.... i really like the genz with the custom cabs..... ive gotta go check it out and actually play thru it.... that particular system is worth about 1000-1100 dollars. the hartke stuff was from 2 different guys on craigslist.... the genz rig is one guy and the stuff is practically brand new......

i just dont have an experience with cabinets... 10" woofers always seemed more dynamic to me.... 12"s seemed a bit much..... but i like a deep, defined bass tone, so maybe the 12s would suit me.

id still like to hear what others have to say though.....

• Members

Hey there, F-D!

Like Emprov said, you won't find too much love for Hartke around here.

I'll say honestly that you can make almost any amp perform adequately for whatever type of music you are playing. Yeah, some seem to shine in different areas, but ALL of them are made to do more than one thing, depending on how you twiddle the knobs, and whether you have it rigged up right for the venue.

Geddy Lee is doing OK running straight to the board these days...

I'm biased toward combos, mostly because I'm an old lazy bastard who doesn't like to carry stuff anymore.

Out of your choices above, I'd say the GB setup is WELL worth the extra $75.

• Members

i wouldnt consider the cab with the kappas if isnt made by a well known cab maker.

a cab isnt just a box for the speakers, it have to be tunned and ported accordly to the speakers.

i know this.... the cabinets are custom built to the specs given by Eminence....

they are ported and made of 13 ply birchwood, glued and screwed, braced at all corners, 120 screws per cab..... a few pics for your viewing pleasure....

emf0XtsxKwsVMs72wqAzozbGPBd6.jpg

XcVgotYR2zYVncylNp68WbNVGFiX.jpg

UKeVPkFBK3HqcmnK5DVsaKVLfCGE.jpg

• Members

Everyone here is going to say Genz. If you go with the Hartke cab, get the XL series or don't bother. I used an XL for many years and they are very well built, great quality cabs. It's just a matter of whether or not you like the sound of aluminum cones.

For the record, I only said Genz because of the exact deals he has available.

• Members

If you can listen to the cabs I would.

I had a couple of custom built 1-15" cabs that were JBL design and could never get a good sound with them. (They looked a lot like the pics shown above, except they had 1 front port.)

I sold them and bought a Peavey 2-15 cab and all was good.

That said, I also has a couple of custom built Altec Design cabs that sounded awesome. Those cabs wound up being used as Low-mid PA reinforcement.

• Members

If you can listen to the cabs I would.

I had a couple of custom built 1-15" cabs that were JBL design and could never get a good sound with them. (They looked a lot like the pics shown above, except they had 1 front port.)

I sold them and bought a Peavey 2-15 cab and all was good.

That said, I also has a couple of custom built Altec Design cabs that sounded awesome. Those cabs wound up being used as Low-mid PA reinforcement.

well im going to check them out in person first of course... to hell with mailorder!

Archived