PLEASE school me on modern recording..

Muddslide

• Members

Okay, I'm going to try (and likely fail) to keep this short--

I've played guitar and bass for over 25 years. I gave it up for the most part after my kids were born. I haven't had a bass in a few years, but soon plan to buy myself a good one. Probably an American or Japanese Fender P-Bass.

I've played a zillion gigs on bass and been in some nice recording studios, etc. I used to do a lot of bedroom recording as well-- on an old school cassette 4-track.

Now, I've got a buddy who wants to do a long-distance recording project with me, comprised of bass and organ...he wants to do a semi-serious metal thing. Think Melvins, Sunn0))), Boris, Sabbath, Blue Cheer and Motorhead too. At least that would be the jumping off points. Heavy stuff, but a little tongue-in-cheek too.

I won't have the money to get a good digital recorder or a nice amp rig and mics anytime soon but we want to get this underway.

I've been trying to figure out a way to optimize quality and tone with my old 4-track, but I don't think that's gonna cut it.

Could any of you recommend a method of recording that will sound pretty hi-fi, clean, but also heavy as hell? I'll want to maximize volume and sustain and heavy, heavy tone in general. Most likely double track it.

I'm thinking of going through some pedals into my computer so I can record some tracks and send them to him for overdubbing, but I don't know jack {censored} about any programs to use or if I will need a new sound card, etc. I'd prefer going stright into a multitracking program--perhaps one that has effects built in that I can add--then burn them to disc and send him the disc.

I don't care about ProTools perfection or anything that precise. I don't plan to do much editing of the actual bass aside from adjusting effects and tone...maybe speed.

Anyone got any ideas? Any thoughts on what I'll need to invest (cheaper is better!)

I do have experience with Cool Edit Pro and another program I downloaded a while back, but I didn't use them to record onto from an outside source. I'm not intimidated at all by trying or learning new things even though I'm an old {censored}er. I just need some ideas and advice on a way to fulfill my needs as outlined above.

I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks in advance.

• Members

Check out the Yamaha MW10. Its what I've got, its a traditional mixer with an added USB port that goes into your computer, and it comes with Cubase. About $200 for the 10 channel I think? But anyways, its very high quality, even though I haven't had much of a chance to use it.

• Members

How to successfully make a good recording hasn't changed. Sure, the tools, have changed somewhat, but the quality still lies in the hands and EARS of the artist and craftsman.

For starters, you want it clean and simple? Well, you need to understand gain staging...which you may already know. For bass, go DI, at least for starters. For anything else, it comes down to mic technique.

Don't get caught up in the marketing crap. Learn to know how to use your ears; what to listen for. Learn mic technique. Excercise proper gain staging. In other words, do NOT throw $$$ at a solution.

If you want to colaborate over the net, either use the same software as the other colaboarators or use whichever your most comfortable with...AS LONG AS OTHERS CAN OPEN THE FILE AT THEIR END. You'll want a decent audio card. The guys over at the HC Recording forum can recommend the biggest bang for buck there. A few years ago, it was the M-Audio Audiophile, so your prolly save with today's version. After that, just make sure the preamps your hitting are decent. For the sound you want, Safe Sound's P1 is pretty damn impressive, and REALLY intuitive. I was able to get great sounds with it really fast.

• Members

audacity is a free computer software recording program that seems to get good reviews.

check out hitsquad.com, they have all kinds of free music software for recording and anything else you can imagine.

i make these suggestions just if you are looking to go cheap.

for more money, most of the more popular DAW programs (Sonar, Cubase, Cakewalk, Logic, ProTools, etc.) also offer a much cheaper light edition (LE) that will accomplish what you are looking for if you have a little money to spend.

might want to post this question in the recording or software forums.

• Members
audacity is a free computer software recording program that seems to get good reviews.

check out hitsquad.com, they have all kinds of free music software for recording and anything else you can imagine.

i make these suggestions just if you are looking to go cheap.

for more money, most of the more popular DAW programs (Sonar, Cubase, Cakewalk, Logic, ProTools, etc.) also offer a much cheaper light edition (LE) that will accomplish what you are looking for if you have a little money to spend.

might want to post this question in the recording or software forums.

Audacity has issues multitracking - the latency messes things up - or at least it always has in my experience with every system I've used it on.N-track is relatively inexpensive and it's always done the job for me. Plus, you can "package" files to include the wave files along with the timeline so you can send a single file to collaborate with.TAS's info is right on the money.Dustin

Archived