convert weber grill to propane?

thebeatcatcher2

• Members

You want to convert one of these?:

441001large.jpg

You do know that Weber makes propane grills, but not in this (Weber signature) shape.

While I'm not 100% certain, I suspect it's because the bowl shaped bottom works fine for charcoal but not gas flames.

I imagine that to distribute heat evenly around the perimeter you'd have to put the burner too close to the grilling surface or have a lot of "cold" space around the edges.

I'm guessing that's why most gas grills are box shaped.

• Members

You want to convert one of these?:

You do know that Weber makes propane grills, but not in this (Weber signature) shape.

While I'm not 100% certain, I suspect it's because the bowl shaped bottom works fine for charcoal but not gas flames.

I imagine that to distribute heat evenly around the perimeter you'd have to put the burner too close to the grilling surface or have a lot of "cold" space around the edges.

I'm guessing that's why most gas grills are box shaped.

yes, that's what i've got, just older. i don't think i'd want to distribute heat that evenly, i like some cold spots on the grill. but i see what you're saying about the geometry of it.

• Members

there's a point to it if it can save a couple hundred dollars...

Hmmm...

I checked the interwebs for a conversion kit, but didn't find much.

You can pick up a decent gas grill for under $100. Spring is coming, and with it BBQ season. Keep an eye open in the ads and you should find something.

Archived