computer question

GMOGreg

• Members

Depends a lot on what OS you have, but generally speaking when you get to 75% full you are headed for trouble.

I use XP and have a 74GB hard drive, so I should only use about 50GB?

Also I don't do too much that requires a lot from the computer, I use the internet, word processors and play games such as RollerCoaster Tycoon (its only about 8 years old...)

I ask because I'm moving across the country in a few months and I'm going to leave most of my cds with my Mom (I'm only taking a few small things, basically what I can bring with me by plane or train) so I'm trying to fit as many as possible on my CPU as mp3s.

• Members

A 20gig drive should be fine to run XP and a few other programs, but you have to watch a few things, esp. keeping your cache cleared. IE has a secret cache that just pollutes your drive and remains hidden. You can go to PCpitstop and get it cleared.

(This is Windows dirty little secret: 'cause sooner or later your system just craps on you and they hope you'll buy another machine instead of fixing the actual, built-in problem. (The one you didn't know about 'cause they hid it from you))

• Members

lots.

I try to leave 3x my swap file minimums. Which right now is 1.5GB, so I self-regulate to 4.5 GB free space minimum. If I get under that I start offloading to my network storage or burn DVDs of downloads.

Right now, however... I have 121GB Free, so I'm doing just fine.

• Members

I ask because I'm moving across the country in a few months and I'm going to leave most of my cds with my Mom (I'm only taking a few small things, basically what I can bring with me by plane or train) so I'm trying to fit as many as possible on my CPU as mp3s.

Look into getting an external drive. They are getting cheap now. This way you'll be able to rip all of your music to it...

• Members

Look into getting an external drive. They are getting cheap now. This way you'll be able to rip all of your music to it...

I forgot about my old hard drive.... I made it into an external one, I have to hook that up now and see how much space it has!

• Members

128k is considered to be CD quality.

Personally I think anyone with a nice pair of headphones or speakers can hear the difference between 128k and CD. The high end distorts. It drives me nuts, but if you can't tell or it doesn't bother you then it doesn't matter. :)

I rip at 192k or VBR most of the time.

Archived