Question about upgrading

randomhero2006

• Members

Hey duders, I've got an excellent Ibanez bass, (RTB-80). The P/J combo is pretty kickass, but I want to upgrade it. What are some good pickup combos ($50-$100), that I can install. I want something very clean. Think Justin Chancellor (TOOL). My music isn't very complicated, ranging from bands like YES, to Megadeth, to TOOL. I'm looking for a very clean tone, from E to G. Preferably a pickup thats moderate in noise, nice volume, and awesome tone. I'm thinking DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan. I'm also up for any suggestions.

Also, does anyone have any experience with this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Jazz-Bass-V-?sku=512618

I'm looking to either upgrade my current bass (Ibby), or get a new bass. I don't want to jump straight to a 6 string, so I figured I'd get some time on a 5, then later upgrade.

I don't use an amp, because I plan on buying an amp along with the bass.

Thanks.

(buttfaces)

• Members

All of the bands you mentioned are pretty complicated and all of them use some grit. I think you may be confusing clean with mids and treble.

My P/J has a Quarter Pounder SD P and a Jazz Hot Stack Humbucker. Sounds awesome and I can duplicate those guys through my Mesa Big Block with the mids and treble kicked up a notch.

Keep in mind that the P is a hum free pickup where a single jazz isn't. If you really want it clean keep both on all the time or get a stacked humbucker.

Yo.

Archived