james on bass

• Members

Much as I hate to, my Yorkie 8x8 might be finding its way to a new home.

I can get my hands on an Avatar 4x10 or 2x12 reasonably quickly. I have years of experience on 4x10s but never 12s. The 2x12 does intrigue me, though I'm leaning towards 4x10.

Classic rock, rarely with PA support. Yorkie 800W amp, rarely past 3 on the master volume with a little bit of tube pre-amp dialled in.

Keep in mind whatever cab I choose will be my stand alone cab for at least the next 6-9 months.

• Members

But which will work better to get a nice full sound spectrum for me? Do 2x12s kick out the lows as well as a 4x10? How about the higner end of the sound spectrum?

when i bought my 212 i asked avatar the same question.they told me that the 212 is the fuller sounding of the two and puts out more lows than the 410.the 212 is a pretty impressive cab. i love mine.

• Members

It's apples to oranges, but comparing my Dr Bass BL2260 (2x12 w/6" mid and tweeter) to my Genz Benz XB 4x10, they're both wonderful cabs, the 2x12 has more depth and handles the low notes better. Of course, they sound great together, too. :)

• Members

But which will work better to get a nice full sound spectrum for me? Do 2x12s kick out the lows as well as a 4x10? How about the higner end of the sound spectrum?

I forgot to ask... Do you play a 5 string tuned BEADG?

If so, the 212 might sound better to you on the B.

More thump.

The 410 has stronger low mids and mids, more punch and can get louder as it handles 500 more watts than the 212.

Both cabs have the same single hi freq driver, which I turn off completely.

• Members

why are you sellin the yorkie ?

I absolutely love the tone of it, but it's just too much for my back getting it up and down stairs, in and out of my car etc... I've got a herniated disc in my back which is usually okay, but sometimes all it takes is lugging my gear around to make it act up.

• Members

+ 1 on the 410. I use mine in a death metal band that often has no PA support. I only take it down to a D, but it is clear, loud and has a great punch to it. I can't speak for the low B.

Seriously, both are awesome cabs. And similar weight too.

Archived