Cab upgrade time! (help needed)

HORSE

• Members

I had my first couple gigs this weekend with a rock band I joined and I realized that there are certain places where my Avatar SB112 isn't enough to fill the room. I love this cab to death, but I was pushing it really hard last night and I could hear some speaker distortion. I turned the bass down on my amp and boosted the mids so I would cut more, but I really need a cab that can supply the lows in massive quantities. We're a rock trio (gtr, drums, bass) and we aren't TOO loud, but the bar we were in last night just sucked up the bass frequencies. We're travelling a lot every weekend and I can't just go get a 2X15 or 4X10 + 1X18. I need something approximately the same size as the Avatar. I'm REALLY leaning towards the Acme Low-B2 @ 4 ohms. That way my Markbass would be giving its full 500 watts. I've read tons of glowing reviews on Acme stuff and it sounds like exactly what I need, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that fall in line with my requirements:

Small footprint: about a 2X10 size (Eden 210 XLT would be absolute maximum size)

Deep end: I want to FEEL my bass. We use a PA just for vocals, so my cab has to give as much low end as I can squeak out of it.

Decent price: The Acme seems well priced for what it offers and I'm looking for something in that price range ($500-$600). If there is something that is just amazingly better but it is more expensive, I'll still consider it because I want something that will get me the best sound and low end extension possible and I'll save up if necessary.

4 ohms: I want to get the most from my amp. I know the extra 200 watts won't sound much louder, but I'd like that extra little bit of headroom.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

• Members

As someone who just recovered from head and cab shopping, some of the nicest stuff I've heard and also incredibly portable were the Euphonic Audio and Epifani cabs. Epifani makes a super-lightweight 3x10 that sounds HUGE and will definitely give you the low end; it was on the floor at my local shop for $999.

• Members

As someone who just recovered from head and cab shopping, some of the nicest stuff I've heard and also incredibly portable were the Euphonic Audio and Epifani cabs. Epifani makes a super-lightweight 3x10 that sounds HUGE and will definitely give you the low end; it was on the floor at my local shop for $999.

I've seen that Epifani cab! It looks great! It's a little more money than I want to spend, but I'll look into it and if it seems to be much more superior than the Acme, I'll consider saving for it!

• Members

I had my first couple gigs this weekend with a rock band I joined and I realized that there are certain places where my Avatar SB112 isn't enough to fill the room. I love this cab to death, but I was pushing it really hard last night and I could hear some speaker distortion. I turned the bass down on my amp and boosted the mids so I would cut more, but I really need a cab that can supply the lows in massive quantities. We're a rock trio (gtr, drums, bass) and we aren't TOO loud, but the bar we were in last night just sucked up the bass frequencies. We're travelling a lot every weekend and I can't just go get a 2X15 or 4X10 + 1X18. I need something approximately the same size as the Avatar. I'm REALLY leaning towards the Acme Low-B2 @ 4 ohms. That way my Markbass would be giving its full 500 watts. I've read tons of glowing reviews on Acme stuff and it sounds like exactly what I need, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that fall in line with my requirements:

Small footprint: about a 2X10 size (Eden 210 XLT would be absolute maximum size)

Deep end: I want to FEEL my bass. We use a PA just for vocals, so my cab has to give as much low end as I can squeak out of it.

Decent price: The Acme seems well priced for what it offers and I'm looking for something in that price range ($500-$600). If there is something that is just amazingly better but it is more expensive, I'll still consider it because I want something that will get me the best sound and low end extension possible and I'll save up if necessary.

4 ohms: I want to get the most from my amp. I know the extra 200 watts won't sound much louder, but I'd like that extra little bit of headroom.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Buy a Preamp, a Pa system and a Power amp and four loud speakersand run the whole band through the PA,that ought to solve the problem:thu:

or you can get a Kustom C210 Groove which puts out 600 watts that is rip your face off Loud that then you can just drown out everyone else.:D

• Members

I've seen that Epifani cab! It looks great! It's a little more money than I want to spend, but I'll look into it and if it seems to be much more superior than the Acme, I'll consider saving for it!

I was amazed at how great it sounded matched up with (now) my little Eden WTX-260; I was rattling stuff on the opposite end of the store. :) And how can you argue with a 47 pound cab?!?

• Members

in the 500-600 price range you should be able to find a used Schroeder 1212 or 1210. I know a guy here in southern california that is selling a 1212 for 500....

That 1212 does look nice! {censored}, I didn't realize there were so many good options! I'm actually going to have to choose!

• Members

How 'bout as second Avatar SB112?

That gives you a flexible, scalable, stackable setup...

I like this idea too, except for 2 reasons:

1. The SB112 Delta's are no longer made. (I don't like the Neos as much)

2. Two SB112s will take up as much space as a 4X10. I'm hoping for a one-cab solution that's similar in size to my current cab.

I'll keep this in mind though, if I can't find anything suitable. Although it seems that I've been presented with a bunch of different options that would work equally well (Schroeder, Epifani, my original Acme idea....)

• Members

How 'bout as second Avatar SB112?

That gives you a flexible, scalable, stackable setup...

I'm doing something similar with my new rig - a pair of Euphonic Audio 1x12 "Wizzy" cabs. Have one now and I'll be picking up a second just as soon as I get my remaining two "for sale" guitars sold (Gibson Les Paul Studio and Gibson ES-135.) Those Wizzy cabs are just amazing - hi-fi, incredibly efficient, and 35 pounds apiece. I've shoved the Warwick through there, the Urge, and even my Ovations and they all sound just incredible.

Archived