Ashdown MAG300H VS. Carvin BRX B800

RockBass

• Members

Here's the conundrum:

I found a really good deal on a used Ashdown MAG300H to drive my cabinet that's on its way from Avatar (2X12 ohm, 500 Watts). The Ashdown says that the ohms on it are 3.9 impedence.

Now I eventually want to add another 8 ohm cab for a total load of 4 ohms, but the Ashdown is only at 3.9. Will it still work? Is that .1 difference splitting hairs, or will it truly cause problems.

If it doesn't work, I'll probably go with the Carvin.

• Members

Yeah, but we're talking about over a $100 difference and both of them are tied for which one I choose.

thing about used equipment you never know what you are getting, if the seller will give you some kind of warranty in writing, (make sure you get it in writing, signed and dated by the seller) I would probably go for it. Ashdown makes excellent amps I just like Carvin better.

Like I said that is my personal preference:wave:

• Members

Here's the conundrum:

I found a really good deal on a used Ashdown MAG300H to drive my cabinet that's on its way from Avatar (2X12 ohm, 500 Watts). The Ashdown says that the ohms on it are 3.9 impedence.

Now I eventually want to add another 8 ohm cab for a total load of 4 ohms, but the Ashdown is only at 3.9. Will it still work? Is that .1 difference splitting hairs, or will it truly cause problems.

If it doesn't work, I'll probably go with the Carvin.

I have an Ashdown MAG300H and an Avatar B212DeltaLF bass cab rated at 4ohms and 1000watts.I have NO problems with the 4 ohm load.It sounds like you have NEO cab. You did not tell us what that impedance is, but you did say you want 'another 8 ohm cab' and so I surmise that your present cab is 8 ohms.

The Ashdown literature that I am familiar with rates their output in reference to a 4 OHM load maximum. If you have found a reference that says 3.9 ohms- that is okay.

There are a lot of people on this group that have amp heads and two cabinets. Many of them have an amp plus a 2x10(8ohm) cab with a 1x15(8ohm) You will also see 4x10 cabs with 1x15 bottom cabs, and other configurations.

Bottom line: The Ashdown MAG300H will handle two cabinets rated at 8 OHMS each.

You are right to feel cautious about your purchases, don't worry about asking us slobs for advice.

• Members

I have an Ashdown MAG300H and an Avatar B212DeltaLF bass cab rated at 4ohms and 1000watts.I have NO problems with the 4 ohm load.It sounds like you have NEO cab. You did not tell us what that impedance is, but you did say you want 'another 8 ohm cab' and so I surmise that your present cab is 8 ohms.

The Ashdown literature that I am familiar with rates their output in reference to a 4 OHM load maximum. If you have found a reference that says 3.9 ohms- that is okay.

There are a lot of people on this group that have amp heads and two cabinets. Many of them have an amp plus a 2x10(8ohm) cab with a 1x15(8ohm) You will also see 4x10 cabs with 1x15 bottom cabs, and other configurations.

Bottom line: The Ashdown MAG300H will handle two cabinets rated at 8 OHMS each.

You are right to feel cautious about your purchases, don't worry about asking us slobs for advice.

Thanks for the clarification. I meant to put in that the cab was 8 ohms, but the two cab idea is my goal. Unfortunately I can only get one at the moment.

If anyone else has any experience with one amp or the other, feel free to post your opinions.

Archived