My first gig with the new band was killer

The Insomniac

• Members

I played my first gig with "Souled Out" a Motown, blues and soul band and pretty much nailed it. I didn't get a practice with the band - just a song list and a bad recording of one of their gigs. I had a little less than 2 weeks to learn all of their material.

They have a trumpet and a sax player as band members but another trumpet and sax player came out and sat in all night so we had 4 horn players. I don't ever want to play in a band that doesn't have a horn section. Way to much fun.

I got caught a few times without a clue as what to play but all in all it pretty much grooved. The drummer said that it was un{censored}in' believable that this was my first gig with the band and the horn players said it was the most fun they had had with the band in a long time. The singer came up to me and told me to make sure I never change. The guitar player said that I must have really done my home work because it showed. The horn players that sat in said that it was the best the band has ever sounded.

Damn - I

• Members

They didn't play anything like the studio cuts. They started Brick House then went right in to Bad Mama Jamma, did some sort of rap thing (I think that was in A) then went into Skin Tight before they made it bad to Brick House. I didn't get warnings for any changes. Crazy to try and follow along.

• Members

They didn't play anything like the studio cuts. They started Brick House then went right in to Bad Mama Jamma, did some sort of rap thing (I think that was in A) then went into Skin Tight before they made it bad to Brick House. I didn't get warnings for any changes. Crazy to try and follow along.

That is often the way R&B gigs go. It's just follow the leader. It helps if you are somewhat familiar with the original tune, though.

Glad you had fun!

• Members

And you still followed along? :thu: Sounds fun! Keep enjoying it.

• Members

I'm really, really happy for you Keith.

:)

Does the new band have a website? Seems your sig needs updating.

Yep - a real bad one.

I'm probably going to re do it for him for a nice discount but I don't have any ownership in the band so it won't be a freebe.

Edit: here is the web address http://www.souledoutsoulreview.com/index.html

It really sucks.

Archived