Multiple amplfiers

LoC

• Members

If I get a second SVT-3 Pro so I have one for my 4x10 and one for my 2x12, how do I set this up? I was thinking to run a patch cable from the preamp out on my 1st SVT-3 to the power amp in on my 2nd one. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the 2nd SVT-3 I want to buy is an older one with the blue writing for the SVT-3 Pro label. Does anyone know the parametric EQ frequency numbers? Are they the same as the newer SVT-3s?

• Members

You could run a cable from the first SVT's 'effects send' to the second SVT's 'effects return'.

Then again, you bypass all the tone shaping and you ended up buying a pretty expensive power amp, and you'd be better off buying a QSC or something like that.

The frequencies are: 220, 450, 800, 1.6k, 3k.

• Members

Welp I want to shape my tone differently for each cabinet so that won't work.

In that case, not much use going direct to the power amp input of the second SVT.

You could, however, connect the tuner out of the first SVT to the instrument input of the second SVT. Or you could get a splitter box.

• Members

Use a Boss Bass Chorus pedal.

I am running mine as follows:

Output A goes to Markbass Little Mark II ==> Avatar B410 Neo

Output B goes to Eden WT800B ==> Peavey 215 with Eminence Neo drivers.

It's huge, yet spacey.:D

• Members

The point of two amps is so that I can select different volume levels and adjust the EQ separately.

Ok, then just buy yourself a B4R instead of SVT3Pro. It'll be about the same price, more watts, Ampeg tone, (minus tube for one cab) and you'll have bi-amp capability. You can then take your SVT 3 Pro, run the pre-amp out into the power amp in of one of the channels, run that channel to one cab, (I would say the 410) then run the 212 off the other channel of the B4R. voila. Problem solved and more volume.

• Members

Hey LoC, fwiw, other amps that have two inputs and no fancy 'line out' function, you can just plug input 2 into input 1 on the other amp.

All the difference is withyour amp is that it's on the BACK, and you can select whether amp 1's tone controls have an effect or not.

The 'old school' approach of daisy-chaining the amps is always 'pre-eq' (though there's a minimal signal loss from input 2 being 'low gain.' The difference is almost negligible, and can be compensated on amp 2.)

The new approach (such as with your amp) allows you to slave a second 'power only' amp and control the tone of both from one set of knobs.

• Members

Cool.

Well considering SVT-3's generally cost 400-500 used I don't see why I would get a B4R when I could get two 3's and have a better overall tone with better EQing and more volume control. Power isn't the issue. It is control over everything. With two 3's I will have more than enough power, but thank you for the suggestion.

• Members

I've run stereo with my Sansamp and it's great. Run the unaffected out into the amp where you want your clean, full bottom and run the affected signal out to the amp where you want the grindy overdrive. Chorus is meant to be split to achieve ultimate spaciness, guitarists should always run stereo.

• Members

Cool.

Well considering SVT-3's generally cost 400-500 used I don't see why I would get a B4R when I could get two 3's and have a better overall tone with better EQing and more volume control. Power isn't the issue. It is control over everything. With two 3's I will have more than enough power, but thank you for the suggestion.

I got my B4R with a rackmount head for $550 shipped...and why would the 3 Pro give you better EQing and volume control? They both have the 9 band Ampeg EQ and volume and gain controls......and you could control your volume...oh....nvm.....wtf ever

• Members

I got my B4R with a rackmount head for $550 shipped...and why would the 3 Pro give you better EQing and volume control? They both have the 9 band Ampeg EQ and volume and gain controls......and you could control your volume...oh....nvm.....wtf ever

He means he wants to EQ the cabs seperately. (AND be a lot louder!)

• Members

He means he wants to EQ the cabs seperately. (AND be a lot louder!)

Which he could...just run the pre-amp out on the SVT 3 into the power amp in one on of either channels on the B4R, and then run one cab off that channel, then run the other cab off the other channel...you can use the SVT3 for the EQing and tone shaping of one cab and the B4R for the shaping of the other...voila...same setup, just designed to be used that way...and alot more wattage I might add....more headroom is always good...

Archived