death from above 1979

davidM

• Members

Okay I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I'm switching from guitar to bass, and i'm curious as to how their sound works.

I know that he runs two bass amps, but what for pedals?

I want to say its a bass synth and a fuzz box like a Muff.

Oh and i'm sure that Ric bass doesn't hurt much either:thu:

• Members

Okay I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I'm switching from guitar to bass, and i'm curious as to how their sound works.

I think he plays a Gibson ripper not a Ric

• Members

Jesse got his sound mainly from his amps - old Acoustic and Peavey, both with built-in distortion. As for pedals, he used a Dunlop Wah and an old Ibanez chorus. Jesse never used a distortion pedal, he used the amps distortion. He also used old Traynor cabs with PA speakers!

As for the synth sounds he used some old/rare synth thing, can't recall what it was called now, but not a pedal (as far I as I know!).

He used a Gibson Grabber bass on most of DFA recordings, but the Ric is sweet.

• Members

you can't find it anymore on YouTube, but there was a life performance on Conan where he was mos def playing a Ric. If you can find this video anywhere its really cool, because they play Romantic Rights, and Max comes out and plays drums from the bridge to the end of the song...

The bass player in my current band has an old Peavey head, I want to say Series 400, but I have no clue if that even the name, or just my sleep deprived brain making stuff up, but then that thing is over driven, it does have the grindy vintage sound, almost like the amp is broken.

Grabbers and Rippers, I've only seen an Epiphone Grabber, and I've played the Gibson Ripper.... the Gibson made me happy.

But I"m sure Jesse is a gear whore, so it would be no surprise that he has many basses.

• Members

you can't find it anymore on YouTube, but there was a life performance on Conan where he was mos def playing a Ric. If you can find this video anywhere its really cool, because they play Romantic Rights, and Max comes out and plays drums from the bridge to the end of the song...

The bass player in my current band has an old Peavey head, I want to say Series 400, but I have no clue if that even the name, or just my sleep deprived brain making stuff up, but then that thing is over driven, it does have the grindy vintage sound, almost like the amp is broken.

Grabbers and Rippers, I've only seen an Epiphone Grabber, and I've played the Gibson Ripper.... the Gibson made me happy.

But I"m sure Jesse is a gear whore, so it would be no surprise that he has many basses.

The Conan show with DFA was brilliant, made me piss my pants! DFA was the band that turned me onto bass.

I don't think Jesse is a gear whore, he just got stuff he could afford at the time which was mainly cheap vintage stuff before prices on that gear went crazy.

The Peavey 400 series is a good start. Jesse used A Peavey 800B (I think that's what is is called, its 800watts anyway!). The Acoustic amp is either a 360 or 450 model.

Use a super chorus with the amp overdriving and run it through PA speakers and you should get a similar sound with a few adjustments.

• Members

Saw 'em in Chicago a few years ago - it was a Gibson at the time, then a Ric in later pictures that I saw. Two Traynor 8x10 cabs, and I couldn't make out the heads.

It was interesting for the first few songs - then it got really repetitive.

• Members

that's how I've always felt about them too.

It was mostly a variety thing for me. When it's just two guys onstage, it requires a lot more work to keep it interesting - chops, tones, instrumentation, what have you.

Same reason I got over the White Stripes in about ten minutes.

• Members

It was mostly a variety thing for me. When it's just two guys onstage, it requires a lot more work to keep it interesting - chops, tones, instrumentation, what have you.

Same reason I got over the White Stripes in about ten minutes.

+1. Personally I never got the whole White Stripes thing.

• Members

Saw 'em in Chicago a few years ago - it was a Gibson at the time, then a Ric in later pictures that I saw. Two Traynor 8x10 cabs, and I couldn't make out the heads.

It was interesting for the first few songs - then it got really repetitive.

but i think you find that with pretty much any band, it just happens sooner with this band because of the lack of different instruments. IMO this is just a fun band that is kind of punkie and lo-fi sounding, with a bit a math rock.

besides the singer is the drummer.... and he doesn't stink.

• Members

I'm listening to the CD right now, I'm guessing that chorus is a pretty low setting across the board... at least with the depth and rate knobs. Because it doesn't warble much.

The chorus is to make the distortion/overdrive more full and rounded, it just fattens up the sound, but the Wah plays a part in it somewhere too. The depth would be quiet hight and the rate pretty low.

• Members

but i think you find that with pretty much any band, it just happens sooner with this band because of the lack of different instruments. IMO this is just a fun band that is kind of punkie and lo-fi sounding, with a bit a math rock.

besides the singer is the drummer.... and he doesn't stink.

With two or more melodic instruments, you can split duties and/or play off each other. There's no opportunity for counterpoint in a two-piece with drums.

I agree that they've got chops, but not enough of the other stuff I mentioned. Doesn't mean I hate them or anything - just need to limit my exposure to them.

• Members

The chorus is to make the distortion/overdrive more full and rounded, it just fattens up the sound, but the Wah plays a part in it somewhere too. The depth would be quiet hight and the rate pretty low.

YES! I"m not at my board right now, so i'm trying to envision the sound in my head.... because ahhh, sound is something you really can see.

• Members

With two or more melodic instruments, you can split duties and/or play off each other. There's no opportunity for counterpoint in a two-piece with drums.

I agree that they've got chops, but not enough of the other stuff I mentioned. Doesn't mean I hate them or anything - just need to limit my exposure to them.

And thankfully there is only one CD and there will only be one CD.

Unless you count the remix cd, which IMO is pretty lame, because they remix romantic rights about 5 times.

One of the reasons I don't like Trent Reznor a whole lot is because 1 remix is enough, and maybe a 2nd, not 5!

i just don't care that much

• Members

And thankfully there is only one CD and there will only be one CD.

Unless you count the remix cd, which IMO is pretty lame, because they remix romantic rights about 5 times.

One of the reasons I don't like Trent Reznor a whole lot is because 1 remix is enough, and maybe a 2nd, not 5!

i just don't care that much

There's 2 cd's, the precursor to YAWIAM is a cd called Heads Up with 6 or 7 tracks on it. Some are better than YAWIAM!

• Members

it actually isn't a limited release, well depending on how you define it.

I found it on interpunk.com for 9.75, so by limited, it must be a limited DISTRIBUTION. now we play the waiting for the paycheck game.

• Members

His sound is a direct result of the Fuzz channel on an old Acoustic 270 solid state guitar head.. Jerry Only also used them (and still did when I saw the 'fits back when they first started touring again in the '90's).

I'm still kicking myself abandoning my 240.. oh, well. It's a great distorted sound, but the fuzz cuts out some bottom. Still better than almost any pedal. Both Jerry and the DFA79 guy also use convential amps in bi-amp config.

Archived