Bass String Gauges

LoC

• Members

Okay, so I am not satisfied with other gauges of strings so I have decided to customize my own set. This is what I plan to get .120, .95, .75, .55 and .40.

I should be a okay, right? Nothing is out of proportion? My only concern is the .75 A-string. would .80 be better for tuning without popping it?

• Members

Okay, so I am not satisfied with other gauges of strings so I have decided to customize my own set. This is what I plan to get .120, .95, .75, .55 and .40.

I should be a okay, right? Nothing is out of proportion? My only concern is the .75 A-string. would .80 be better for tuning without popping it?

Rotosound makes 120-95-75-60-40 set, the RS665LC Swing Bass. So does D'addario, the EPS220-5. Both stainless steel, though.

• Members

Ermm, heavier gauges lack color, in my opinion. Smaller gauges are significantly brighter and I haven't found them to be floppy and I have a heavy finger picking style. As well, lighter strings are far easier to fret. But will a .115 work or would a .120 be better?

• Moderators

I have seen a .115 work just fine. The best way to know is to try it yourself. You are going to get some people telling you that .130 is floppy and others telling you they have no problems detuning their 4-string set to BEAD tuning.

I personally tend to like a B-string in the .120-.125 range, though it varies by manufacturer.

Archived