great singers that do everything wrong

e021708

• Members

After watching so many talent shows with terrible singers who have spent years with voice coaches, i developed my own theory of voice coaches being about as credible as palm readers and psychics.

I disagree. A good voice teacher can be worth his or her weight in gold.

A great voice coach helped me IMMENSELY in immediately diagnosing my worst bad habits, then putting me on a program to help me fix them.

These bad habits had developed over the years, and it took some time for me to overcome, but now I am at a completely different level as a singer, one that I don't think I ever would have obtained on my own by trial and error.

• Members

Take a look at singers with obvious vocal problems. Freddie Mercury could rarely hit the high notes live. I know Elton John somewhat is sopposed to have damaged his voice earlier. Meat Loaf litterally blew his cords out in the late 70's.

• Members

I've had several teachers, or as I prefer to call them" Coach's", over the years. I still am at best adequate and prone to blow my voice. Like say, last night.

The real value is they make you practice, something that for people who are instrumentalists first and vocalists a distant second don't really care to do.

IF I could find that magic teacher I probably could not stay with them long term due to money or time concerns.

• Members

I was trying to think of a couple good examples, but it's kinda tough. Of course, the bad sounding singers obviously have bad technique. Some good singers, if they are good, may be using bad technique. But because their voice sounds OK, and they can sing on key, you really can't tell by listening. That is, until their voice eventually gives out on them, and they can't sing anymore.

• Members

Apparently Grace Slick sang all wrong. Sang too loud and always in chest voice, and she had nodes removed 2-3 times (though she claimed these were caused by smoking menthol cigs, which could actually have contributed I think)…Stevie Nicks blew her voice by getting carried away on stage and screaming in songs like Rhiannon (at the end part), and also from too much cocaine…

I’ve heard a lot of singers who damage their voice and sing “incorrectly” (but it sounds totally “correct” to people because that’s how their voice just sounds…it sounds cool and exciting, you know? It’s THEM), and then later on in life get a vocal coach and learn to sing properly and they don’t actually sound all that different, but…hmm.

• Members

If you're talking about technique that's in the eye of the beholder, in my opinion. However what I consider wrong is guys like Eddie Vedder, and Axel Rose... both with amazing voices, both heavy drinkers and chain smokers. That's right guys, ruin the gift god gave you... well done.

• Members

I probably sing with bad technique, but I never feel like I'm in pain or feel uncomfortable. I used to at times, but it never affected my singing in the long run. If anything, my voice has gotten better, so I must be doing something right..

Don't you naturally use your chest voice by default, grace? How is that damaging to your voice? I'm talking in chest, aren't I? I need to shut my mouth. :x !!

• Members

Not trying to be a smartass but who decides what's supposed to be wrong?

Example:

If the person in question used their Diaphragm properly, breathes properly

and well, sings correctly they will be able to sing years later (decades) even without a problem.

I really wonder *why* Steve Perry disappeared from singing entirely?

He had *the voice* right? There is a market for his voice and while the replacement guy is pretty good, he's not Steve Perry.

Whitney Houston *looks* great now, but can she sing?

Like before?

• Members

After watching so many talent shows with terrible singers who have spent years with voice coaches, i developed my own theory of voice coaches being about as credible as palm readers and psychics.

Question.

IF a voice coach takes the money from some person without any sort of musicality in them or potential, and after spending hundreds of dollars on said voice coach...Is it the voice coach's fault? is there anyone to blame for the lack of vocal transcendence?

There are people born with music in their blood and thus, singing or even playing instruments come easier...

Then there are those that actually learned to sing.

• Members

Have you known great singers that do everything that is suppose to be wrong but they still they sing great?
:blah:

I would have to believe that Janis Joplin would be the patron saint of this thread.

Smoke. Drugs. Booze. Screamer.

What a voice.

• Members

Example:

If the person in question used their Diaphragm properly, breathes properly

and well, sings correctly they will be able to sing years later (decades) even without a problem.

He had *the voice* right? There is a market for his voice and while the replacement guy is pretty good, he's not Steve Perry.

Whitney Houston *looks* great now, but can she sing?

Like before?

Steve Perry had health problems that took him out of the game.

Whitney Houston had drug problems that took her out of the game.

• Members

Example:

Rumor has it that Steve Perry is currently working on a new solo album.

[YOUTUBE]0lP_A2YcV_w[/YOUTUBE]

Archived