Removing Frets

LoC

• Members

Okay, so I want to take my first bass and remove all the frets to make, obviously, a fretless instrument. I want to use this to practice my hearing training and just have a better understanding of music. So, how do I do it?

• Members

I'd use a fret puller instead of hammer and screwdriver. They look like a pair of nipper pliers. PM me a mailing address and I'll send you my pair.

:( too late, I already pried 'em out. I chipped and dented the fretboard, but oh well. it was a $150 Silvertone bass. Actually, though, the bass has a really decent tone. It lacks thump but it is superbly unique and sounds great without frets. Say where can I get fretboard sanders? The ones guaged for the radius.

• Members

Geeze, that is definitely not the way to do it.

I am sorry that you already pulled the frets in the fashion mentioned here. You will have lots of fun sanding the fret board, until you don't have any dead spots and getting the fretboard radius correct. You may still be better off buying a replacement fretless neck if you have a bolt on.

For anybody else considering the conversion, you should really gently heat the frets fairly evenly with a soldering iron or clothes iron, to losen the glue holding the frets in place. Then gently pry the fret out, (while the glue is loose) using either a fret puller, or a pair of end clippers you can get at a hardware store.

The key is to gently remove the fret, doing as little damage to the fret board as possible. You then need to fill in the fret line, with some filler material. You can use a different wood, or even wood putty. But you do need to fill the empty space left by the fret to provide structural stability to the fret board.

Belt sanding the frets flush with the fret board is almost as extreme as attacking the frets with a screwdriver. There are many tutorials for removing frets. Try googling, I am sure you will find a thoughtful description of the process.

Good luck with your Bass Mod.

Ed

• Members

Don't know if leaving 1 fret in place would cause problems or not.

To the OP - it's also a good idea to apply masking tape on either side of each fret to protect the fretboard from the tool you're using, and to minimize chipping/splintering as you pull the fret.

• Members

If I were to pull the frets out of my Ibanez (some time in the distant future) would it be a good idea to leave the last fret on the neck so I can slap, or would this cause problems?

I'd just glue a thin sheet of metal or hard wood on personally (probally hard wood to get that 'fretless thump' sound out of it.

• Members

+1

It is rare I need to heat the frets, but it doesn't hurt either.

I heated my frets even though I found there was no glue but I reckon the heat expands the fret and widens the hole slightly around it I think this helped them come out nice, well a couple of holes but not too bad for a first go.:cool:

• Members

Don't know if leaving 1 fret in place would cause problems or not.

To the OP - it's also a good idea to apply masking tape on either side of each fret to protect the fretboard from the tool you're using, and to minimize chipping/splintering as you pull the fret.

wouldnt have to worry about that if the right tool was used to begin with.

and to answer Annestasias question no you dont want to leave any frets in the fret board.

Archived