hey upright players

jeffrey ray

• Members

my interest in upright rockabilly style playing has reached the point where I am now quietly researching options...and I know almost nothing...what size do players normally use?...I've noticed 3/4 size marked "rockabilly"...but I've also seen 4/4 size maked "rockabilly" and "jazz"...I've enjoyed seeing players standing on their basses and balancing...I assume these are full sized basses...but...again...I have no idea...

thanks

jeffrey ray

• Members

3/4 is standard size.

4/4 is slightly broader across the shoulders.

The scale is the same 41" on both sizes.

you an only stand on a ply bass more than once.

you will need a preamp with that.

you will need a bigger car, bigger amp, and a bigger house.

get one.

your life will never be the same again.

• Moderators

3/4 is standard size.

you an only stand on a ply bass more than once.

you will need a preamp with that.

you will need a bigger car, bigger amp, and a bigger house.

get one.

your life will never be the same again.

+1 to the above

• Members

heh heh. You called?

3/4 is pretty much standard now. It's hard enough lugging that thing around on stage.

Lots of people stand on their basses. All of us fall off. Make sure you practice a lot on carpet (softer to land on than fans) and put some rubber stripping (like what goes along the inside of your fridge) on your bass to keep it from slipping out from you on hardwoods or concrete- if you intend to stand on it.

The Pete Turland DVD is the best for Rockabilly bass, there's some good stuff on Youtube as well and the Lee Rocker one is good, but it's really fast and hard to see what all he's doing.

Oh and this may be the last time I'm allowed to say this, but Buy a King. They're the best.

• Members

Is there that much of a difference between an NS Electric Upright and a traditional acoustic upright? I mean would there be much of difference between learning on an NS and learning on an acoustic and if there is how much would you have to adjust your technique if you started out on an NS and were switching to an acoustic?

• Members

Is there that much of a difference between an NS Electric Upright and a traditional acoustic upright? I mean would there be much of difference between learning on an NS and learning on an acoustic and if there is how much would you have to adjust your technique if you started out on an NS and were switching to an acoustic?

picture this: take an electric bass, now attach a dog house to it... will it play the same?

My point is that yes, there is a difference in the handling of the beast... Many of the stumble related to learning upright starting from bas guitar stem from the scale length and the fretlessness. I don't think you'd need to adjust too much between an NS upright and an acoustic one, except for the fact that you'll have a doghouse in the way.....

Archived