College Graduate!

LittleWoodenBoy

• Members

Hey guys. I know I don't post a ton, but I'm on here a lot and have been since I was a Sophomore in high school (under a different name), so I feel like a lot of you guys have been with me on this journey. As of today I just graduated from the University of Illinois with a bachelor's degree in Classics (Latin concentration). Only took me five years, which isn't all that bad considering I spent a year and a half of it as a Physics major.

Anyway I just thought I'd share. The plan now of course is to do an intensive (ancient) Greek seminar over the Summer, probably at UC Berkeley, then do a post-baccalaureate year at another school, probably the University of Pennsylvania, to get my Greek somewhere on par with my Latin. Then it's back to school for a master's and eventually a PhD in Classics.

I know what you're thinking, and sure I could have gone with my heart and been a mechanical engineer or an economics major, but Classics is where the big bucks are nowadays, and I have to fuel my gear habit somehow.

• Members

hold on... you did Classics because there's money in it???

Where the hell does the money come from and for what purpose is it being used?

Maybe I just missed the sarcasm, but I would think that the most lucrative of the paths you named would have been engineering...

• Members

I know what you're thinking, and sure I
could
have gone with my heart and been a mechanical engineer or an economics major, but Classics is where the big bucks are nowadays, and I have to fuel my gear habit somehow.

:D

Seriously though...its a wonderful thing following your passions...cheers!

• Members

:wave: from a fellow graduate. I graduated with a BS in Natural Resource Management and an AS in Land Surveying. Starting work tomorrow, which is great cause I'll be able to fund some recent gear purchases ;)

Congrats and hope you enjoy what you do.

Archived