hey guys

Ace Of Bass

• Members

It's been a while, I know. A bit over 6 months.

I was having a rough time in my life last year, and by November some people decided it would be better if I was under constant watch in a hospital. I got out again after a few weeks, but had some other priorities besides posting here, and besides, I really wasn't in the mood.

Despite lots of medication and therapy, I'm not really sure I'm any better now--largely due to the fact that I haven't even been able to pick up a bass in 2 or 3 months. (Yeah, this thread IS actually on topic.)

I've got like 15 of them around my place, and sometimes I'll go over to one and look at it, but then I generally go back to bed instead. I can't remember the last time I actually took one off the stand.

I know everyone has some periods of time when they don't have the urge to play like normal, but this is worse than I've ever had it. I mean, I used to LOVE playing bass. If someone offered me a spot in a band right now, I'd probably dread it more than castration. Or maybe it is that I have no band, and no one to play with--but that hasn't stopped me for the past few years.

If you've got any advice, it would be appreciated.

Ditto for any way to motivate myself to get dressed on the days I don't have to work--but I figured I'd start with something that at least used to be fun.

Oh well, at least I haven't set any of my basses on fire.

• Members

I didn't mean to imply I was coming back.

Too much other stuff going on for that.

Just needed some perspective on the bass part.

All I can say is this: Try making sure at least twice a week you pick one up and play it for half an hour. Sometimes it becomes fun in the process, and brings back some of the enjoyment.

• Members

All I can say is this: Try making sure at least twice a week you pick one up and play it for half an hour. Sometimes it becomes fun in the process, and brings back some of the enjoyment.

Yeah...maybe just grab a different one every once in awhile and just hold it for awhile while...even if your watching TV or someone's visiting, or whatever.

• Members

What is the problem? Depression? Sometimes you have to force yourself to do things at 1st. Then you will start to enjoy it slowly but surely. Hope all will turn around for you. Glad to see you post again!

What's this crap about not being back???? You need to come out and play!

• Moderators

If playing a bass makes you happy, play it. If holding a bass makes you happy, hold it. If you feel better leaving the basses on their stands for the time being, but knowing they are there if you need them, do that.

If you need someone to tell you to start playing again because you can't tell yourself, I can do that. This past year has been really hard on me as well, as I've been dealing with my wife's mental illness. Even when I don't feel like picking up a bass and playing, I have found that actually doing it feels REALLY good.

I asked my little boy (two years old) to give you some support and he typed this: vmjjjjjj,lpl;l;yumk,njz ftw2qkmf I'm not sure what it says, but I know he likes playing and listening to the bass, so it probably says something about how much he'd like to hear you play. :thu:

Archived