Re: Fretless Basses....

Avalanchemaster

• Members

so this is what I want:

fretless 5 string with a lined neck...

it will be a first time fretless for me and I thought, why not get a 5er...

any good tips as to what companies to search? Cort? Carvin? Yamaha?

I am also not sure if active/passive pickups are a necessity. I like my 6string with active pickups a bit more than my passive 4stringer, so I guess I would like active p-ups. I have heard good things about Bartollini's...can anybody confirm?

also what price range am I looking at for a great setup with the specs I listed. I am not sure if a bolt on or neck through would make a difference either. It would be nice to look at options.....can anybody help?

• Moderators

You can find a used US Hamer 5 string fretless on ebay now and then for ~$500. I have one. It is really nice. The only drawbacks are (1) heavy and (2) tight string spacing. If you are sensitive to either, look elsewhere.

• Members

The Cort Basses I found on Ebay were damn nice and relatively easy on the wallet. Is that switch on the body an in/out phase switch or is it a pickup selector switch? huh? anyway, thanks.......more suggestions are welcome

also what is Luthite? (the Cort basses seem to made of this) is that a compound man made material? how does it affect the tone?

is it light?

• Members
:thu:

I'd try to find a bass with an unlined board. Following the lines will just mess up your intonation. It's better to use your ears.

+1... no lines...And it looks so much better... and a lot more confusing for the average guitarist... :p

• Members

What THEY said!
:thu:

Ditto - I went the lined route for my first fretless...then moved to an unlined which I like infinitely more than the lined. I would strongly urge anyone starting out to go with unlined.

I found the lined board to be a hindrance rather than an aid....for me

I have been working with my unlined now for about 4-5 month and I am delighted at how well my intonation is coming along.

$.02 c-d

ps - I'm thinking about moving my lined, Spectorcore5 fretless...pm me if you have any interest...

• Members

The Cort Basses I found on Ebay were damn nice and relatively easy on the wallet. Is that switch on the body an in/out phase switch or is it a pickup selector switch? huh? anyway, thanks.......more suggestions are welcomealso what is Luthite? (the Cort basses seem to made of this) is that a compound man made material? how does it affect the tone?is it light?

The switch is a "slap contour" switch. Luthite is a manmade composite material. It sounds good, but a little different than wood. I'd play it before buying it, but I love 'em. My 5 string ergodyne is made of the stuff.

I also vote to go for unlined, and I don't rememeber ever seeing any lined fretless curbows FWIW.

• Members

I have pretty that Exact same Curbow w/ frets. I love it, the slap countour switch is basically a mid boost. I love mine.

I also have a fretless Cort Artisan - model B4FL, it has a wenge neck, it's built well and the finish is gorgeous. It is easy on the wallet. I got mine for $350.00 with the Bartolini MK1 pickups

Archived