You're Invited: Vegas 2008 Getaway

Thunderbroom

• Members

Well damnit. The plan was to carpool out to DC to fly cheaper!

He didn't say it was definite. If my math is correct, his wife will still be in the 2nd trimester, so she would still be allowed to fly, though that's obviously not the only concern/issue (and my math could be wrong, I only know his announcement date, not her due date).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He didn't say it was definite. If my math is correct, his wife will still be in the 2nd trimester, so she would still be allowed to fly, though that's obviously not the only concern/issue (and my math could be wrong, I only know his announcement date, not her due date).

Every year we go to Vegas for a convention and twice my co-worker has been 6 months pregnant-and it wasn't fun for her. Smoke everywhere, loud people, nothing for a sober mommy-to-be to do.

However, maybe she can still go and just hang out at the spa and pool all day :thu: That's what I'd do!

PS I missed the official announcement. Was there one?

• Members

And I'm still planning that Daytrip to Bryce and Zion, which folks can do with me for free, since I have an annual Natl. Park pass (split cost on gas, but that should be nothing much).

We're renting a car (probably a 7 seater SUV) so if enough people want to go we can drive also. How far of a drive is that?

This is going to be SO fun.

• Members

We're renting a car (probably a 7 seater SUV) so if enough people want to go we can drive also. How far of a drive is that?

This is going to be SO fun.

It's about four hours to Bryce Canyon (which is the farther of the two), faster depending on how you drive (I'm from Michigan, so it's not likely to take me four hours ;))...

To maximize daylight and hit both, we'll likely have to leave decently early. Sunrise on the 22nd will be around 7:18 and sunset will be about 7:31 (it's the day after the equinox, so we'll have essentially 12 hours of sunlight to work with). Vegas and Utah are in different time zones though, so we'll probably want to leave about 2 hours before sunrise (about 4:45 Vegas time...folks can sleep in the car ;))...On the plus side, that means that even if we leave Zion at like 7:30 local time, we'll still be back just after 9 vegas time, and still have the night ahead of us :D

Entry to each park is $25 per car, I can get one non-commercial vehicle in for free.

I just visited them in late August, I can't wait to see the parks in Winter. :D

• Members

....Vegas and Utah are in different time zones though, so we'll probably want to leave about 2 hours before sunrise (about 4:45 Vegas time...folks can sleep in the car
;)
)...On the plus side, that means that even if we leave Zion at like 7:30 local time, we'll still be back just after 9 vegas time, and still have the night ahead of us
:D

:eek:

That early! Wow. I guess if you're going to do it, that'd be the way to do it. I'm down.

Looks beautiful. I went to Arches a few years ago and I've never seen anything like it.

• Members

:eek:

That early! Wow. I guess if you're going to do it, that'd be the way to do it. I'm down.

Looks beautiful. I went to Arches a few years ago and I've never seen anything like it.

Bryce canyon was breathtaking, Zion is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in my entire life.

And don't worry, I'll drive, everyone else can sleep :D

The parks themselves are about an hour apart. Assuming we leave at 2 hours before Sunrise, that makes this the schedule:

9:00-9:30 am - Arrive at Bryce (since it's 3.5 hours to get there, and we lose an hour)

1:30-2:00 pm eat lunch at Ruby's (great food)

3:00 pm - Arrive at Zion

7:30 pm - sunset, leave Zion

8:30-9:00 pm (local) - Arrive in Vegas again, assuming no traffic.

It only gives us about 4 hours at each park, which is enough to see stuff, but we could easily spend more time if we wanted (i.e, that's time for sightseeing, not time enough for hiking on many/any of the cool trails or anything).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've been waiting for a while to post thinking the scenario would change, but it hasn't.

We were supposed to fly out to Phoenix (airfare already booked) to see hubby's aunt. Her husband works for a swanky hotel out there and said he'd get us the family rate. We were going to leave the baby with them for a few days and go to Vegas with the money we'd be saving not having to pay full price for the hotel.

After we already booked the Flamingo and our airfare to Phoenix, she just informed me he can't get us the rates since it's spring break. Now we'll have to spend at least $1400 on a hotel out in Phoenix-taking away a significant portion of our budget that was for Vegas.

I just called the Flamingo to cancel.

Would have been a blast. I'm SO pissed. Thankfully I didn't lose any of our deposit to the Flamingo.

• Members

I bet we can make enough at the craps table to pay the lost portion of your budget.
:idea:

Probably, especially if I'm rolling the dice. ;)

I want to make it work. I hope we can, but it's not looking great. It's not too far of a drive so even if we came for a day or two......

• Members

So where are we at:

OUT

Tbroom - Out

C7 - Out

ZX - Out

Catphish - out due to lack of response

78pbass and MrsPbass- Was in, but out due to lack of attendance

Possibly

ZX - unsure

Kindness - will know a week or so in advance

Bassred - Depends on work schedule

Burdizzos - ??

Mrs SVI & SA Rios - "not looking great...but things could change."

IN

What about y'all? slapthefunkyfour & mrsslapthefunkyfour, y-o-y & mrsy-o-y, T. Alan Smith & MrsTAS, Kashue ...

• Members

So where are we at:

OUT

Tbroom - Out

Mrs SVI & SA Rios - Out

Possibly

ZX - unsure

78pbass and MrsPbass- Was in, but not sure

Crescent Seven - needs to check into it

Bassred - Depends on work schedule

Burdizzos - ??

IN

catphish - in

What about y'all? slapthefunkyfour & mrsslapthefunkyfour, Kindness, y-o-y & mrsy-o-y, T. Alan Smith & MrsTAS, Kashue ...

You can put us under possibly. I had to cancel the Flamingo because if I waited any longer, they'd take my deposit.

It's not looking great...but things could change.

I want to go and meet ya'all. Especially since it was "my" idea. :p (directed to KK)....

• Members

What about y'all? slapthefunkyfour & mrsslapthefunkyfour, y-o-y & mrsy-o-y, T. Alan Smith & MrsTAS, Kashue ...

I can't say this is a real surprise. If it turns out that only 2 or 3 people are going to to actually end up going, I'd bail. (no offense to whomever those 2 or 3 people end up being, but it's not worth it to go and be with less people than are at the local meets).

That said, I'm still planning on making taking the wife out there that weekend for the time being.

Archived