Victor Bout, merchant of death

Perfessor

• Members

Anyone hear this on National Public Radio? Here's a link..http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11870855

Wonder where all the world's weapons come from? Always blaming the US for arming everyone but it's Victor Bout's organization that arms the world. He lives in Russia. Why do weapons pop up in out of the way places and everyone is armed to the teeth? Victor Bout.

Click on "listen" for a real eye opener.

• Members

Make no mistake - we arm a lot of countries. But there's definitely a reason that the Kalashnikov is the Number One choice worldwide...

The fact that some current asshole arms dealer lives in Russia has nothing to do with the success of the AK-47. These are some of the real reasons:

It's a better design than anything from the US in that time period

It's dirt cheap to manufacture

It's easy to copy

It's reliable and doesn't need to be babied

It's powerful and accurate enough to get the job done

The USSR was basically giving them away for several decades to anyone who'd even listen to their ideology.

• Members

Something that has freaked me out from the beginning of the Iraq war has been the lack of strategy dealing with arms supply. I remember as a kid asking by dad why Col Hogan was blowing up ballbearing factories instead of Germans, and he told me that you win wars most effectively by robbing the enemy of the ability to fight. But nobody has ever talked (in press I've read) about making deals with the arms manufacturers, none-the-less dealers.

Are those AK's and grenade launchers being manufactured underground?

• Members

Something that has freaked me out from the beginning of the Iraq war has been the lack of strategy dealing with arms supply. I remember as a kid asking by dad why Col Hogan was blowing up ballbearing factories instead of Germans, and he told me that you win wars most effectively by robbing the enemy of the ability to fight. But nobody has ever talked (in press I've read) about making deals with the arms manufacturers, none-the-less dealers.

I'd say that existing supply means there's no real way to do this. Iran is passing some along, likely Syria as well.

• Members

After the invasion, Jerry Bremmer fired all the Iraqi military personnel. Jay Garner had planned to hire them. He was dismissed. This left hundreds of thousands of armed (with AKs and RPGs), unemployed, pissed off, soldiers with lots of time on their hands. The supply was there and unsecured the whole time. More have come through the borders (Syria, Iran, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia) in the time since.

• Members

After the invasion, Jerry Bremmer fired all the Iraqi military personnel. Jay Garner had planned to hire them. He was dismissed. This left hundreds of thousands of armed (with AKs and RPGs), unemployed, pissed off, soldiers with lots of time on their hands. The supply was there and unsecured the whole time. More have come through the borders (Syria, Iran, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia) in the time since.

On top of that, nothing was done for quite a long time to secure all of the old Iraqi army arms depots, of which there were hundreds all around the country. By the time they started trying to secure them, most of them had been cleaned out.

• Members

For all the arms that were already present in the country, I'd think some effort would be made to slow production, or at least track it. I know stamped parts can be made in relatively small spaces, but I've never gotten the impression we're even bothering to watch the big boys. When some entity places an order for 10,000 rifles at a time, you can't tell me that it doesn't national interest doesn't warrant (ha-ha) an unauthorized wire tap.

Or is this kind of effort going on, and I just haven't been able out?

• Members
The fact that some current asshole arms dealer lives in Russia has nothing to do with the success of the AK-47. These are some of the real reasons:

Oh, I realize he's the latest in a long line.He's taking a successful formula, a successful product, and making bank.

It's like a franchise of sorts. McBoom's?

• Members

I would totally go sit through a 4 hour seminar on Communism for a free AK-47.
:idea:
C7

Limited time offer, restrictions may apply. You had to live in a 3rd world country sometime between approximately 1947 and 1990. Sorry you missed out. :wave:

• Members

Limited time offer, restrictions may apply. You had to live in a 3rd world country sometime between approximately 1947 and 1990. Sorry you missed out.
:wave:

Yeah {censored} it. I'll just go to the next Tanner gun show and pick up a Romanian-built one brand new for $279 with a can full of ammo. Like my friend's 18 year old brother did last year.:eek:

C7

• Members

Well, there IS an international treaty on slowing or stopping the sale of small arms, but the US won't sign it because it makes some of the more extreme elements of the gun lobby fear a UN mandated gun turn in. And the weapons makers have a lot of politcal clout through the NRA and their own lobbyists. Regardless, the AK is about the perfect small arm. And Russia and the other warsaw pact countries made tens of millions of the things. They also licensed production to any number of countries, and they are simple enough to make that the Afghan Mujahadeen used to make knock offs with hand tools before the US and Saudi started shipping them guns. This conflict is really burning out the legacy systmes from the cold war. I expect to see a whole new generation of small arms in the next 10 years, lead by the HK G-36 and the NORINCO (China) Bullpup assault weapon currently issued to the Chinese army. The US has decided to stick with the M16/M4 series of weapons for now, but new sights, electronics, and aftermarket hardware make it one of the best infantry small arms out there. YMMV.

• Members

According to the guys doing the reaearch the AK47's and other Russian weapons are sold only because they are available and they are cheap. That's the reason the nukes need to be watched.....he's the man.

On the bright side the US actually uses his network to get planes to fly into various parts of the world.

Archived