I crashed the OBA conference!(trombone content)

jonathan_matos5

• Members

http://www.okbandmasters.com/

i didn't get to see the band because of my lack of a badge but i did get to check out alot of cool horns directly from the factories :cool: i went to the college to see about renting a horn and the college sent me to the shop that the band director recommended. when there i asked the owner of the store about trombones and he said that all of them were at the OBA conference with his son at the booth. i asked when they would be back and he told me that he would let me in the conference to look at them:D

i even walked away with a new trombone.

TROMBONE.jpg

TROMBONE1.jpg

excuse the crappy pics the lighting sucks:cool:

here is a pic from the manufacturer's webpage

etb432g.jpg

it is an Eastman etb432 trombone so far i like it. its a cheapie made in china but the specs meet all that i need and the guy i bought it from gave me $500 for my conn with mojo* so i got to walk away only spending $400 on my credit card:cool:

here is a link to the eastman website

*mojo see also beat up {censored}itude :D

• Members

And trumpet. At least three forumites (myself, y-o-y, and Kashue) are trumpet/bassists of varying degrees.

true that. :wave:

i met and listened to my future trombone teacher play at the conference and i can say that he has some serious chops and that i need to hit the woodshed for a few weeks.

• Members

true that.
:wave:

i met and listened to my future trombone teacher play at the conference and i can say that he has some serious chops and that i need to hit the woodshed for a few weeks.

yep. I get my braces off in 2 months and I can't wait to break out the horn again...the rest of the band, not so excited. We are some sort of jamband, so I plan to get a simple looper to lay down a bass line and then play the occasional trumpet solo on some songs:thu:

• Members

i played with braces on in high school i got the nickname bleedin gums in jazz band for one year because my braces would cut my lips and it looked like my gums were bleeding. that and i was always quoting the simpsons

01.jpg

when i got my braces off my last year in high school my ranged jumped six whole steps:eek:

• Members

i played with braces on in high school i got the nickname bleedin gums in jazz band for one year because my braces would cut my lips and it looked like my gums were bleeding. that and i was always quoting the simpsons

picture of bleedin; gums murphy

when i got my braces off my last year in high school my ranged jumped six whole steps:eek:

that is why I didn't get my teeth fixed until i was an adult. I was very serious about trumpet in HS, and I didn't want braces to screw it up.

• Members

Oh man, you picked that up for $400?

That's nice.

What's the bore size on it?

Mouthpiece, etc?

I've been trying to learn about all that crap, as I'm looking into a new bone after I save up some money over the summer, so any information you could possibly lend me on that would be great!

• Members

that is why I didn't get my teeth fixed until i was an adult. I was very serious about trumpet in HS, and I didn't want braces to screw it up.

it didnt screw up my playing it just hurt to play loud and you know what they say about bass trombone

it has a 2 dynamics on and off:D

i had the best lung capacity, so they gave me the bass bone so bass bone would be heard. i was mentioned several times on the competition critique tapes with good reviews like a "driving force of the brass section" "dynamic" :cool: and "too loud":(

the too loud one was when the competition was in a really ringey gymnasium :freak:

oh well hopefully ill get back to the level i was at in high school by the time im performing again.

• Members

Oh man, you picked that up for $400?

That's nice.

What's the bore size on it?

Mouthpiece, etc?

I've been trying to learn about all that crap, as I'm looking into a new bone after I save up some money over the summer, so any information you could possibly lend me on that would be great!

the bore size is .547 and i use a vincent bach 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece

there is a link in the original post that has more info on Eastman the retail price is $995 but i got a deal because my teacher is the sales manager at the store i bought it from.:thu:

when i look at a trombone i take a look at the slide to make sure it isnt banged up this one was a new one so it was smooth. i play a few scales to hear it and make sure it feels right and everything is working. unlike tone woods different metals make a verry distinct sound silver is bright, brass crisp, copper is mellow so pending on what you are playing look for something different ive been told that the lacquer can also make a difference in the sound of a brass instrument but ive never had the guts to remove the lacquer to hear for myself.

• Members

As far as brass instruments go, if its bare metal or plated (silver, for instance) it doesn't affect the tone a whole lot. Lacquering can deaden the sound a bit, or if done properly it just darkens it.

On brass instruments, the material/finish makes far less of a difference, tonally, than the mouthpiece and the bell. This is overlooked often. This can be best tested when you have instruments that are otherwise identical with different bells, such as Bach Stradivarius 37 and 72 Bb trumpets side by side. To my ears (and general opinion) the 72 is a bit broader and darker than a 37 using the same mouthpiece.

With trombones, you have the added factor of large bore/small bore. Other brass instruments have various bore sizes, but not to the extreme of two non-interchangeable mouthpieces as the trombone.

Hang out on the Brass/Woodwinds forum and you can learn a lot from the players about what makes horns different from each other.

Archived