Guitat amp for bass???

bergenwoods

• Members

I've been playing guitar for years, but have never played bass. I'm thinking of investing in an inexpensive bass to see if I enjoy playing in it. Would rather not invest in a bass amp until I'm sure I like playing bass. Can I play bass through a guitar amp, or is this going to cause problems? My main amp is a Fender Cyber Twin. Any suggesstions would be appreciated.

• Members

You can play a bass through your guitar amp, but it will most likley sound like {censored} and fart out your speakers. You'll find it very hard to get any bottom end.

You be best to get yourself something like a Squire beginners pack which does the bass and practise bass amp all in one deal for about $300.

• Members

I agree with the previous posters - the amp part won't be a problem - you may or may not like the sound, but it won't break anything. The speakers, however, if played at anything more than practice/bedroom volume probably won't do so well. Can your amp use an external speaker cab instead of the internal speakers? If so, maybe you just need to get a speaker cab.

• Members

Buy a cheap bass cabinet, unplug your internal speaker and run your ext. out to the bass cabinet.

You can get a cheapo 212 cabinet for like 150 bucks from Shredz or go to the pawn shop and buy an old peavey 115 or something.

I played my guitarist's Peavey 120w tube head through a bass cab (using my MXR as the preamp:P) and it sounded pretty sweet.

• Members

Actually, the CyberTwin at a *reasonable* volume would be safe for practice and even recording. Just listen CAREFULLY for the telltale signs of speaker fart, and back off the low EQ and/or volume until it goes away. The 12's they use are pretty sturdy. In fact, dial up a Bassman or Concert model and play with a pick, you'll get a neat 60's studio tone. A Precision with flats sounds heavenly recorded this way through a guitar cabinet a la Carol Kaye in the 60's.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

• Members

The only problem may be with the clean channal which may break up some. Not necc bad, but clean tones of bass with guitar amp arent common due to higher output signal of basses and lower freq's. The overdrive/distortion channnal may give very nice od/dist voice for your bass. However tone control wont be as good for bass control since it will be set much higher on guitar amp then on a bass one. Sound thru speakers will depend entirely on the qaulity of the speakers for their ability to create bass freq's. Norm guitar speakers break (tear up) or at least fart out easy with bass guitar cause they are flimsy high travel speakers designed only for mids and low-mid treble. Playing bass thru guitar amp and bass cab (either with 10's or with good qaulity tweeter for larger woofers) can result in excellent sound for both bass and guitar. AS 10" bass guitar speakers will give much more articulate low end to guitars then guitar speakers can. Excellent full sound that rivals guitar cabs can be had with even single 10" bass combos due to their better freq responce. Bass speakers are also less travel then guitar speakers. This means the cone doesnt move as far back and forth as guitar speakers do. This creates for more articulate and tighter sound thats more hifi.

So suggestion is if you like the sound of your bass thru the guitar amp, then replace the guitar cab with good bass one/s. For example Eden Nemesis 1x15 ext cabs that have very nice qaulity tweeter. Result: excellent guitar and bass voice as created by the instruments and any processor/effects pedals, and the amps od/dist ch which is then being played thru nice lightweight hifi grade full range speaker system. (Finds eden nemesis 1x15 cabs have better balanced tone lows thru highs then their 2x10 which more emphasize bass.)

Archived