Fullerton Ventura from Music 123

heymelbs

• Members

I ordered the $39 Fullerton Ventura bass from Music 123 thinking I was getting a real hunk-o-junk. Turns out I've had more compliments on how she looks and (surprisingly) sounds than any other bass that I have ever played or owned. I like it because it's light as a feather, no problem having her for a 2-3 hour show. But isn't being in a band about image, not just sound? Seems this little cheapie has hit the mark in that category so far.

• Members

:thu:Agreed . . . a nice little bass it is!

And wasn't it $29 rather than $39? [i got one for $29] Unbeatable value at that price. Of course that price was freakishly:freak:low.

I also got big sister Ventura Deluxe (active w/gold hardware) when it was going for $99 shipped. Nice black matte finish shows no fingerprints.

:idea:These light-weight basses are really great to just keep handy so you can grab one and play a little when you have a moment . . . it's fun I tell you. Somehow seems easier and more convenient than using the Pbass or whatever, even though that's on a nearby stand too.

:blah:

• Members

I first read on this forum about the $29 bass guitar, but by the time I got to the site it was $39. It's been fun to brag about the price with people (even if it cost me a little more).

A good bass to have in the arsenal.

• Members

I missed both the $29 AND $39 Venturas. But I ain't mad. :cool: What I DID get was still a deal. The $169 (yeah, a lot more, I know) Ventura NT is a looker, and quite nice, IMO:

FullertonVenturaNT008.jpg

FullertonVenturaNT009.jpg

There is a small issue with the clear separating from the side of the neck where the fret ends stick out (but they are still under the finish, so you don't feel them, just makes the finish look funny on the side of the neck where the dots are) but I am the only one likely to see it. Other than that, I'm happy! :thu:

• Members

I think I was the first one on here to get one of those. I bought a fretless model and mine was $169. I sanded it down and relic'd it. It was great fun having people guess what kind of bass it is. Get this. At one jam a guy who is considered one of the top 5 bass players in Cleveland was telling another guy, who is the poster boy for Hills Custom Guitars, that it was definately a Yamaha with Music Man pickups! Apparantly they ripped off an 80's Yamaha shape. I play that thing infrequently now and set it on as deep as it will go. It has some buzzing issues with more treble anyway.

• Moderators

I got one. I'll post a pic later. My only complaint is the neck is a tad sharp. The fretwires are such that if I were to slide my hand the wrong way, I might cut meself badly!

I had to file away some pretty nasty fret ends on Thunderbroom's. Worse than I've ever seen. The leveling job I had to do was pretty severe as well. However, once the fretwork was completed, the bass was really a nice bass to play. No joke.

• Members

I had to file away some pretty nasty fret ends on Thunderbroom's. Worse than I've ever seen. The leveling job I had to do was pretty severe as well. However, once the fretwork was completed, the bass was really a nice bass to play. No joke.

Of course, but couldn't that be said of most basses?

• Moderators

Of course, but couldn't that be said of most basses?

While fretwork is my number one complaint with all production basses and guitars, when I say this bass was nice after the fretwork was fixed I mean: (1) the nut was well cut; (2) the neck took well to adjustments I made; (3) the body and neck were in good balance; (4) the overall weight was comfortable; (5) I had no issue with the tuning pegs or bridge; (6) I liked the finish on the back of the neck; (7) the fingerboard/fretboard was a nice straight grained piece of wood; and (8) the electronics were well shielded so as to not pick up radiant noise. Could it have been better in any of those areas? Maybe, but not by much. For $29 or $39, it is a god damn steal.

Archived