Blem Ric 4001C64S at MF

SB900LE

• Members

Craigv:

You haven't explained what Ric does that makes them "horribly run". They make products that are popular and they sell everything they make. They honor their warranty (I know, I used it), and they price their product more than competitivily. Because they haven't increased their production to the point where you can walk into Sam Ash and find 5 Rics on the wall ready for you to walk out with one, that's "horribly run" business?

Yup. they fail to meet the demand for their product which in my opinion means they aren't doing their job.

I think you fail to consider that the investment in manpower (it's still made primarily by hand, especially the 12+ coat finish process) and infrastructure would cost a LOT of money.

Ohhh 12 coats..well that explains the backorder.

The CNC's you mention run in the millions.

So?

They would need to borrow that money, and cost of that money would increase the price of their instruments substantially.

How do you know? I'm sure with a few years of saving they could put something together to increase production.

To the point of decreasing the very demand that you claim their failure to address makes them "horribly run". So now they have more capacity to produce more expensive instruments to a now smaller market.

So what your saying is that if they produced more instruments the market would suddenly crumble and desire that people have to own one would dissappear? What does that say about their product?

Not once have I said that they should become the Wal-Mart of guitars or become Fender pt 2. What I've stated is that they need to grow to meet the demand of their product so that people aren't waiting a year for a bass. Im not saying they should have 10 basses in every music store across the country; just that they make their product more available. Many people love Rics...I personally don't. This doesn't mean I discount them or their product. I just think they should have the respect for their customers to try harder. To give the people a chance to get their hands on them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Not once have I said that they should become the Wal-Mart of guitars or become Fender pt 2. What I've stated is that they need to grow to meet the demand of their product so that people aren't waiting a year for a bass. Im not saying they should have 10 basses in every music store across the country; just that they make their product more available. Many people love Rics...I personally don't. This doesn't mean I discount them or their product. I just think they should have the respect for their customers to try harder. To give the people a chance to get their hands on them.

Why should they? These things have a way of self-correcting....you can't get that bass for a year, you say 'to hell with them' and buy elsewhere. You assume that they have the profitability to increase production. You assume they want to take on the added management responsibility of a larger company. You assume they are certain enough that demand will stay high enough to make an expansion worth the trouble. Maybe they've been in the business, living what we've discussed for a few minutes, long enough to know more about this than we do, and have made good decisions.

• Members

I think the "if it ain't broke, don't {censored} with it" attitude is one of the main things wrong with the electric bass today. It's not 1951, so why is it assumed that we're going to play a bass that was designed then?

It isn't assumed that "we" are going to play a bass that was designed in 1951. There are plenty of recently designed basses out there, and anyone is free to purchase one, including you. Nobody's forcing you to buy a Ric. If you want something else, buy something else. That doesn't make Rickenbacker a horribly run business. They just don't want your business. What's wrong with that? They are not obligated to grow without bound just because it might be possible (that's not good business, either).

• Members

Many people love Rics...I personally don't. This doesn't mean I discount them or their product. I just think they should have the respect for their customers to try harder. To give the people a chance to get their hands on them.

Dan you just don't like Rickenbacker instruments, so I can understand you not bothering to understand the RIC operation. As far as respect for their customers, I think it's pretty cool how they keep the line interesting (in a Rick lovers eyes) so that even their newest instruments hold their resale value and gain value over the years.

You mention the Ernie Ball makes all it's guitars in the USA, yes they do, but they granted OLP a license to make copies. RIC doesn't do that, I'm glad for that.

Archived