Blem Ric 4001C64S at MF

SB900LE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just think the company is horribly run and don't understand why people still give them business.....

Dan

RIC is not horribly run. They do not have the capacity of Fender or Gibson. They are a small company. I love when you guys make assumptions about RIC, when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Blame the crazy prices on the impatient idiots who have more money than brains that will pay any price for one on ebay!

I said on this forum, several years ago (as bassmaniac) that this was going to happen to the price of Rickenbackers, especially "vintage" ones will eventually get the same status of old Fenders. The responses were, "Oh, that will never happen!"

• Members

RIC is not horribly run. They do not have the capacity of Fender or Gibson. They are a small company. I love when you guys make assumptions about RIC, when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Blame the crazy prices on the impatient idiots who have more money than brains that will pay any price for one on ebay!

I said on this forum, several years ago (as bassmaniac) that this was going to happen to the price of Rickenbackers, especially "vintage" ones will eventually get the same status of old Fenders. The responses were, "Oh, that will never happen!"

The fact that they have year long waits for their instruments proves my point that they are horribly run. What? they don't have the capacity of Fender or Gibson? So what! If you can't meet the demand, you grow to meet it. Their prices (Handmade in the USA) are not out of range, but the wait times and scarce availability is. They need to put some money into growth to meet the demands of the people, it's that simple. Of course they have something special with their instruments, why not do a little work and make it so that anyone who wants one can get one?

Dan

• Members

The fact that they have year long waits for their instruments proves my point that they are horribly run. What? they don't have the capacity of Fender or Gibson? So what! If you can't meet the demand, you grow to meet it. Their prices (Handmade in the USA) are not out of range, but the wait times and scarce availability is. They need to put some money into growth to meet the demands of the people, it's that simple. Of course they have something special with their instruments, why not do a little work and make it so that anyone who wants one can get one?

Dan

amen!

• Members

Dan, if John Hall could easily do what you have suggested, I'm sure he would. The problem is, being able to pay people that have the skill to build guitars in So Cal, yet keep the list prices somewhat reasonable. Most highly skilled luthiers who lived in So Cal have relocated to Oregon and Washington. You lived in So Cal, you know how high the cost of living is there.

RIC recently added some new CNC machines to the factory to help cut down the back log. It's possible that the factory will have to move in a few years.

Dealers have figured out that even if they give little or no discount on RIC instruments, people are going to buy them anyway. I'm not very happy about that either, but like I said, blame the impatient idiots who will pay crazy prices for them on ebay.

• CMS Author

I'm trying to get my head around how a company that makes a conscious decision to keep its production relatively low, and is profitable, is "horribly run". Perhaps after 40+ years of selling instruments they understand that demand decreases too, and don't want to be stuck paying mortgage, heat, and wages for a huge factory that's not fully utilized.

I'm old enough to remember when Ric's were dogs on the used market. I sold my dead-mint jetglo '77 4001 for $200 to Sam Ash in 1980. It was resold for $300.

• Members

I just think the company is horribly run and don't understand why people still give them business.....

Dan

Rickenbacker is a small, family-run business. Unlike every other major US maker, they have kept all their production in the US and have maintained high quality control standards. The long waiting list (and lack of discounting) are a result of demand from discerning players who appreciate quality and are willing to pay (and wait) for it.

Feel free to not buy a Rick. That way there will be more for the rest of us.

So there. :p

• Members

Shhhh

That's if they still have it, the Blem section is a joke, I've called on numerous things, and they are usually gone, but the listing for the item will stay up for a LONG time.

its a tease really.

• Members

As un believable as it seems, even Banta is down on them now. I think he had a run in with John Hall over something and posted about it. Maybe he will show up and give his story. Needless to say, I was shocked!

• CMS Author

As un believable as it seems, even Banta is down on them now. I
think
he had a run in with John Hall over something and posted about it. Maybe he will show up and give his story. Needless to say, I was shocked!

While he runs the company well, I've seen Hall be a bit of a dick over in that forum.

• Members

Rickenbacker is a small, family-run business. Unlike every other major US maker, they have kept all their production in the US and have maintained high quality control standards. The long waiting list (and lack of discounting) are a result of demand from discerning players who appreciate quality and are willing to pay (and wait) for it.

So there.
:p

There are plenty of companies exactly like them..they mmake a number of products, but they don't keep their customers waiting. They don't have to become "the man", but they can grow to meet their business needs a bit better. I don't doubt Rics are excellent instruments and unique at that.

And I know Socal is a tough place to own and run a business and that good workers are hard to come by. I'm also not saying he could do anything to immediately fix the problem. But he could spend some cash, get a bit larger production line, maybe another CNC machine, and train some people to do immaculate work. Let's remember, these are CNC'd, not hand built "boutique" instruments. They can put them out relatively fast. What's left? Electronics, finish, setup? And that takes a year?

And yes, they have been around for 40 years..good for them, I'm happy, but that doesn't mean they don't run their business badly. There are plenty of businesses out there that have found a niche, such as Ric, and have been around for a long long time. No one offers what they do, and those who have tried have faced legal action..this is the only reason they are still around.

Dan

• Members

So there.
:p

I think you need to exclude Ernie Ball Music Man from "every other major US maker" as all their basses are still made in SLO, CA. They're a family run business that puts out many guitars and basses, yet their backlog is about 5 months. How can EBMM do this (they're in CA too) but Rickenbacker cannot?

• Members

I think you need to exclude Ernie Ball Music Man from "every other major US maker" as all their basses are still made in SLO, CA. They're a family run business that puts out many guitars and basses, yet their backlog is about 5 months. How can EBMM do this (they're in CA too) but Rickenbacker cannot?

+1 and their prices are still reasonable and their instruments haven't suffered any QC issues that I have ever heard. Plus don't they get rid of windows as their OS? Maybe Ric needs to get rid of windows?

Dan

• Members

5 months is not THAT much better than 12. Really.

Don't forget you can actually find EBMM basses in stores on a regular basis. Good luck finding a Rick anywhere. I've yet to hold one in my hands in 5 years of playing. Just never saw them at any shop either new or used.

Archived