Anyone else watch "Survivorman" on discovery..

baracuda2004

• Members

i heard something about man vs. wild being somewhat staged, but i don't know where i can find the article on it. They were saying something about the camera crew goes and stays in a hotel, and alot of the stuff is planned.

i still like the show, i kinda prefer survivorman though.

• Members

i heard something about man vs. wild being somewhat staged, but i don't know where i can find the article on it. They were saying something about the camera crew goes and stays in a hotel, and alot of the stuff is planned.

I was going to mention this... be realistic though, you're crazy if you thought everything he does is for real. A lot of it is just too convenient. It's still a cool show and I'll keep watching, they just might have to add a disclaimer.

Bear has done some crazy stuff, such as jumping in the freezing ice lake or eating from the dead zebra on the savanna.. but really if it's not all survival situations, it kind of becomes a Jackass-type stunt show without the tasteless bleeding stupidity.

My friend told me his camera crew were survivalists who actually can keep up with him doing the things he does, but I don't know where he got that info, maybe a youtube video or some behind the scenes FAQs from the show. Or maybe he was talking out of his ass.

• Members

Yeah, I like those shows. Man vs. Wild is pretty cool, too.

I like Les Stroud because he's not a highly trained superbad mofo like Bear Grylls, but Bear takes alot more risks, so his show is fun to watch also. Survivorman seems a little closer to reality, though.

C7

I agree. I do like Survivorman better because he is all by himself. Bear has that whole crew following him around. I'm sure that they have food and water with them, so if bear really was in trouble they'd just give him some. Les needs to do everything for himself...

BTW...that clip of Bear drinking water from elephant {censored} was pretty gross!

• Members

I agree. I do like Survivorman better because he is all by himself. Bear has that whole crew following him around. I'm sure that they have food and water with them, so if bear really was in trouble they'd just give him some. Les needs to do everything for himself...

they do have a disclaimer that the crew will assist him if he is in a truly life-threatening situation.

i still like the show, i kinda prefer survivorman though.

I don't know if the stuff he does is staged, but I do think many times he goes to extreme measures which are not necessarily warranted in his situation, though may be applicable in a real life survival situation.

That being said, I was watching an episode in which he was floating down some class III rapids on a makeshift raft, and he clearly had a life vest on under his sweater.

• Members

I've watched both of 'em. Man vs. Wild is more entertainment. He's got the crew with him, and he gets himself into ridiculous situations (hey let's jump in the quicksand and get out!). He's trying to show the viewer how to survive in specific situations.

Survivorman... Just one dude with a camera. Really cool how he does it... Kinda reminiscent of the stuff shot by the guy in Grizzly Man.

Archived