My GK experience

countrybass

• Members

I borrowed a GK 1001rb head last weekend from Guitar Gallery. Although I'm an avid Ampeg user, I totally dug it. It was much easier for me to get a good tone. But one thing that I noticed, is that I can't get as much "rumble" as I do on my various Ampeg Heads. I really dig the GK and am thinking about buying in, but I would like to get more bass out of it. So to the gK guys, what am I doing wrong? Oh I use an Ampeg 810 cab.

• Members

I borrowed a GK 1001rb head last weekend from Guitar Gallery. Although I'm an avid Ampeg user, I totally dug it. It was much easier for me to get a good tone. But one thing that I noticed, is that I can't get as much "rumble" as I do on my various Ampeg Heads. I really dig the GK and am thinking about buying in, but I would like to get more bass out of it. So to the gK guys, what am I doing wrong? Oh I use an Ampeg 810 cab.

I never had a problem with bass, but GK's will not do Ampeg tone. Ampeg's are bassy by nature in my experience whilst GK's are fairly mid heavy and crisp. You really couldn't find two different bass amps. But like I've said, I've never had a problem with bass on any of the 800RB's I've owned..can't say I have too much experience with the 1001 though.

Dan

• Members

Yes they do in fact sound different. But I was really impressed with how outstanding the GK sounded. I guess that I'm just accustomed to an Ampeg sound.

Yeah, I love GK's especially in a live setting. I haven't found anything that stands out as well, nor sounds as good. I'm sure you can coax more bass out of them, play with the EQ a bit and I'm positive you can find a happy medium.

Dan

• Members

You should use the Boost knob to get more bottom. Turn it up to about 3/4, then adjust your volume on the gain side.

I have no problem getting overwhelming lows out of mine.

C7

He beat me to it!! The thing is since the GK has plenty of power (700w + 50w bi-amped) it means you have to really crank it loud before you get that "rumble", unless you turn down the MASTER and adjust more GAIN and BOOST.

• Members

Yes they do in fact sound different. But I was really impressed with how outstanding the GK sounded. I guess that I'm just accustomed to an Ampeg sound.

Yeah, if you want the Ampeg sound, go Ampeg. It's the simplest route. I know I prefer GK over Ampeg, typically. I wouldn't mind adding Ampeg to my color palette someday. But at this time, I prefer a more versatile, hi fi-ish sound to work within my rig.

• Members

I'd suggest getting a Sansamp pedal if you want your GK to emulate an Ampeg tubey type preamp sound.

I've got an MXR I use, and with the right settings it can sound SVT-ish (at least like the Hybrid ones).

Also, bigger speakers will help. Adding a 15 really bottomed out my rig. Can't wait to try it with the Dr Bass 12's and a 15 bottom :)

• Members

I picked up a GK 1001rb and 410rbh and love it. I had a few opportunities to play my rig along with a 1x15 cab and it really adds a lot to the tone. While I love the Ampeg tone, I prefer the punch and clarity of the GK. In the coming weeks I am going to add a 1x15 cab and SA RBI for when I want to emulate the Ampeg tone.....

Just played Saturday and got a ton of compliments on my tone.

• Members

You should use the Boost knob to get more bottom. Turn it up to about 3/4, then adjust your volume on the gain side.

I have no problem getting overwhelming lows out of mine.

C7

+1

that's what i do.. it basses like crazy when you do that.

Archived