StingRay Pickup in 51' p bass body

halfmassive

• Members

Hi,

I am new to bass guitars - actually I am putting togather a USAcustom guitars/ warmoth bass guitar for someone else. What he wants is the look of a 51 p-bass but the sound of a Musicman stingray.

I was thinking on just having USACG rout the traditional p bass pickup postion for a MM humbucker and then wire it without the EQ and active electronics. I know this won't get exactly to a MM stingray sound but I am guessing it will be more powerful than a 51 p bass.

My main question is will moving the stingray pickup towards the neck drastically change the sound or just take a little treble bit off of it.

Also will using a duncan 1/4 pounder P-BAss pickup get close to the MM humbucker?

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Moderators
Hi,

Also will using a duncan 1/4 pounder P-BAss pickup get close to the MM humbucker?

I owned a Stingray, and my P bass currently has a 1/4 pounder in it. The answer to your question is a simple "No." Each pickup has it's own flavor. You may want to look at the Fenfer Big Block. It's basically a P Bass with an MM style pickup in it. That could possibly give you some pointers on MM pickup placement in the '51 P Bass body.

• Members

I don't think you'll get a Stingray sound without Stingray electronics placed in the correct spot. The pickup is only half of the equation...the pre amp is the other half.

Moving the pickup closer to the bridge probably isn't going to change the tone that drastically, but keep in mind that MM has that pickup in the sweet spot to get the sound that they want. They probably spent hundreds (or more) of hours figuring out exactly what the best placement is...

A Duncan BL 1/4 pounder P pickup isn't going to sound a thing like a MM Stingray. It'll sound like a hot P bass though!

• Members

Thanks for the replies. We went to guitar center the other day and tried out the SUB stingray which did not have any eq in it and he liked the sound so I think the EQ is not that big of a deal for this guy. He just liked how the SUB sounded a little more powerful and less muffled than a highway 1 p-bass.

If I drop a duncan Stingray humbucker into the p body will this get us close?

Also can someone describe the tonal differences between a p-bass and a stingray a little for me.

Sorry for my igrorance but I am totally a guitar guy but I'm trying to help out this friend who wants a semi-custom bass.

• Moderators
Also can someone describe the tonal differences between a p-bass and a stingray a little for me.

A Stingray has an agressive "whirring" type sound in the upper mids, which cuts through a band mix, whereas a P pickup is known more for low end thump. The 1/4 pounder is a bit hotter than a standard P, which means it's a bit louder and a little more aggressive in the mids, but not anything like a Ray pup. As guitargod0dmw mentioned, placement is everything. The MM pickup is located closer to the bridge than a P, which sacrifices a bit of the low "thump" for a more biting tone. A P pickup is a nice all around tone that will sit in any mix. If it's someone's only bass, the P will be the better choice. That said, if he liked the tone of the Sub, another bass that would be in that affordable category would be the MTD Kingston. Note when looking at pics of those basses, the forward location of the MM style pickup.

• Members

A Stingray generally has a very aggressive tone. They can have strong lows, mids, and highs, which is why many people like them for different kinds of music. The on board EQ adds to the tonal variety that can give out. I use Stingrays in a metal band and they sound great.

A P bass generally has a nice fat tone that fits in well with all types of music. They can be punchy, but IMHO not nearly as punchy as a Stingray of a J bass.

The best thing to do is A/B them at a store and see which one he likes better.

IMO a MM Sub sounds very good, but not really like a Stingray either. Maybe I'm just biased...

• Moderators
IMO a MM Sub sounds very good, but not really like a Stingray either. Maybe I'm just biased...

I think your assessment is spot on. The electronics in the Stingray allows many different tones to be dialed in. Perhaps what the dude liked about the sub was more focus in the low end, compared to the Highway one, which in that case a PJ might be looked at, too. That way he can roll off the P a little bit and use more of the Bridge's Jazz pup for bite and clarity.

• Members

Thats for the input. I think this will help him find what he wants. With the little bit of research I've done I am strating to understand how complicated modern bass guitars are. It makes me feel like solid body guitars are almost too easy to deal with - at least in comparison.

thanks for the help

Archived