New Bass -- Need Help With Setup

Cheese Grits

• Members

My apologies if this is often discussed here, but I don't see where the search feature has moved to.

When my new bass arrived (34" scale, jazz bass type) and I tried to tune it, I snapped both the "E" and the "A" strings. When I bought new strings, I noticed that the tension required to get them tuned to "E" and "A" respectively was too great. I had to back off, and I can't get the thing in tune.

What gives?

Facts for your consideration:

Any thoughts? It is an SX bass, if that matters.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Members

Get a tuner. You didn't say what you are using as a reference tone, but if you are breaking multiple strings like that I am almost positive you're trying to tune to the wrong pitch. Even a cheapie tuner will get you set up properly.

• Members

Something is definitely wrong.

Were the strings that came with it OK? Were they in tune or close when you got the bass?

If the D and G are OK and not too tight, the E and A should be too.

Are you using an electronic tuner to insure the proper pitch?

• Members

Are you using a tuner, or are you "earballing" it? The D and G strings could be tuned much too high and trying to tune the E and A strings to them could snap them off.

The intonation setup has no bearing on open tuned strings so you can take that part out of the equation likewise the gauge of the strings. 40-100's should work just fine.

• Members

I am using an electronic tuner. In fact I tried two of them: the one built into my Line6 TonePort UX2, and a Seiko digital guitar tuner that I have.

I can get the "E" string tuned to about C, and it is already feeling too tight. If I tune to the E below that, then the string is definitely too loose (it's all floppy and lays on the fretboard). If I try to go higher, it breaks. It's the same story with the "A" string.

Could my tuners be wrong?

Is the action maybe set way too low?

:confused:

• Members

I am using an electronic tuner. In fact I tried two of them: the one built into my Line6 TonePort UX2, and a Seiko digital guitar tuner that I have.

I can get the "E" string tuned to about C, and it is already feeling too tight. If I tune to the E below that, then the string is definitely too loose (it's all floppy and lays on the fretboard). If I try to go higher, it breaks. It's the same story with the "A" string.

Could my tuners be wrong?

Is the action maybe set way too low?

:confused:

If one tuner is off I'd say maybe it needs calibration but it is unlikely (but possible) that both are off.

I'm not sure if the strings are too low they would be more tense. I believe the strings will lose tension but it would be slight. If the strings are sent higher there is more tension but certainly not enough to break a string. However, I doubt their height is the real problem.

Is there a bow in the neck?

I think if I were you I would send the axe back for another.

• Members

If one tuner is off I'd say maybe it needs calibration but it is unlikely (but possible) that both are off.

I'm not sure if the strings are too low they would be more tense. I believe the strings will lose tension but it would be slight. If the strings are sent higher there is more tension but certainly not enough to break a string. However, I doubt their height is the real problem.

Is there a bow in the neck?

I think if I were you I would send the axe back for another.

Hmm. I'm having trouble following you, but I appreciate the help.

I think I might let a local guitar tech take a look at it before I ship it back to Rondo.

• Members

If the core broke and the windings unraveled at the nut, you have got to be tuning it too high. I can't think of another reason for the strings to break at the nut, unless the nut is made from metal and has burrs or sharp edges. I do assume that the nut is made from plastic though?

Bringing it to a local tech is going to cost you almost as much as the bass cost in the first place to get it setup!

• Members

Plastic is correct. :(

So, if I'm tuning too high (which seems likely), do you think that having a pro set up the bass might fix the problems? I just can't imagine how out of shape a freaking jazz bass could be. It's not that complicated of an instrument. Right?

• Members

I think your starting point was too high on the tuner. You were probably past the low E and attempted to tune up (instead of tuning down) to the next E. You should loosen all the strings until they are floppy and start there. Now if your strings are laying on the fretboard, you need your neck tweaked. Take it to a tech and have them set it up.

• Members

So, the steps I'll try. First, detune until the "e" and "a" strings are floppy and then tune up to the next available "e" and "a". If, at that point, the strings are still laying on the fretboard, what next? Adjust the neck? Adjust the bridge height?

• Members

How low are the strings at the bridge? I tend to think it's the neck that needs the tweaking but raising the string heights on the bridge may help as well.

I'll have to check when I go home later. Do you mean in millimeters, or just roughly?

Also, when I detune the bass, there is a slightly convex bow in the neck. Maybe the truss rod is overly tight?

• Members

Read up on the FAQ Bass forum. You'll pick up a lot and there are a few articles on how to set up your bass.

I've only broken strings when tuning them up when I was accidentally tuning them an octave up. I bet that's your problem.

Yo.

• Members

So, the neck had a bow in it?

If so, it would explain not being able to tune to the lower E and A.

Tension is affected by two mains items; bridge height and neck relief (bow). You can tell if the neck is bowed by holding up the bass and looking down the neck toward the nut. You should see a very small bowing of the neck. If it is really bowed it will be easily seen and the neck needs to be set up.

Once the neck is set then you can adust the string height and intonations.

It sounds more complicated than it really is but with just a few tools and your tuner you can set up the bass and do a professional job. It takes some time when you're new to this but if you have the patience it will save you some bucks and you will get to know your instrument a bit better.

That's what a lot of us have done and if some of these guys here can do it, so can you ! :D

• Members

So, the neck had a bow in it?

If so, it would explain not being able to tune to the lower E and A.

Tension is affected by two mains items; bridge height and neck relief (bow). You can tell if the neck is bowed by holding up the bass and looking down the neck toward the nut. You should see a very small bowing of the neck. If it is really bowed it will be easily seen and the neck needs to be set up.

Once the neck is set then you can adust the string height and intonations.

It sounds more complicated than it really is but with just a few tools and your tuner you can set up the bass and do a professional job. It takes some time when you're new to this but if you have the patience it will save you some bucks and you will get to know your instrument a bit better.

That's what a lot of us have done and if some of these guys here can do it, so can you !
:D

Thanks! :)

I think the thing is pretty close to being properly set up as it is. Maybe a quarter turn looser on the truss rod should give me the setup I'm looking for. As it is, when I run through the amp modeler and into my headphones, the bass sounds pretty good. It's just that when I play acoustically, I hear the E string vibrating against the frets a little.

As far as nuts go, if I wanted to replace mine eventually, what does everybody prefer? Bone? Graphite?

• Members

Thanks for all the help, guys. The problem is mostly fixed. It's in tune anyway. I was trying to tune too high. Now I just need to adjust the neck ever so slightly to get rid of a little bit of fret buzz.

Thanks again!

Little bit of fret buzz is OK as long as most of it is heard on the bass and not through the amp.

• Members
Thanks!
:)

I think the thing is pretty close to being properly set up as it is. Maybe a quarter turn looser on the truss rod should give me the setup I'm looking for. As it is, when I run through the amp modeler and into my headphones, the bass sounds pretty good. It's just that when I play acoustically, I hear the E string vibrating against the frets a little.

As far as nuts go, if I wanted to replace mine eventually, what does everybody prefer? Bone? Graphite?

I put a graphite on mine. :thu:

Archived