New Bass -- Need Help With Setup

Cheese Grits

• Members

If your setup is pretty low, you're going to hear some buzz acoustically. It's normal. It can be annoying, but once you plug in , it all goes away!

I use plastic nuts (they are all stock) but if I had to change them, I'd go graphite as well. Except for my SR5...compensated nut ATW!

• Members

Last night, I managed to record a little groove with my new bass, and I think it sounds pretty nice. If I can recall, I'll post it up here later this evening. I think that for the money (well under $200, including a hard shell case), this bass is really tops.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. :)

• Members
I am using an electronic tuner. In fact I tried two of them: the one built into my Line6 TonePort UX2, and a Seiko digital guitar tuner that I have.

I can get the "E" string tuned to about C, and it is already feeling too tight. If I tune to the E below that, then the string is definitely too loose (it's all floppy and lays on the fretboard). If I try to go higher, it breaks. It's the same story with the "A" string.

Could my tuners be wrong?

Is the action maybe set way too low?

:confused:

tune it an octave lower than the tuner...:freak:

low E is pretty floppy...

• Members

Tension is affected by two mains items; bridge height and neck relief (bow). You can tell if the neck is bowed by holding up the bass and looking down the neck toward the nut. You should see a very small bowing of the neck. If it is really bowed it will be easily seen and the neck needs to be set up.

sorry old man but you are misinformed.

Tension is affected by:

1. the scale length

2.the pitch you are tuning to

3. the type of string.

It doesn't matter how low or high the bridge is or what kind of relief there is on the neck; the tension is constant assuming the 3 items mentioned above are constant.

• Moderators

Tension is affected by:

1. the scale length

3. the type of string.

It doesn't matter how low or high the bridge is or what kind of relief there is on the neck; the tension is constant assuming the 3 items mentioned above are constant.

I'd say you are closer to correct, but since neck relief and bridge saddle height both affect the scale length... :p

But seriously, your list is correct.

• Members

Tension is affected by:

1. the scale length

3. the type of string.

If you go back and read my post, I did say only slightly didn't I oh illiterate nube? And I also said that it shouldn't change to the point the string should break. Go back and read it more slowly, maybe that will help. ;)

Oh, and you forgot to include the diameter of the string. Another important factor concerning tension.

By the way, I would like to ask this question. Is there a difference between electronic guitar and bass tuners? I don't know this as I've never looked to see if there was. Just curious.

• Members

When I first began playing in the 70s, I broke strings as I was just that green as to what the pitches were and how to get there. My fix was to buy a tuner w/a little speaker that would 'sound' the pitches for me to tune by till I got the hang of it. I still use one today when I change strings: I take all four off and clean the fingerboard and frets, etc., so I still need it when I start putting the new strings on. As you continue on and start amassing all the little odds and ends, you might check out a tuner like that. Works for me!

I used to get SO mad when I'd break brand new $trings like that ! !

• Moderators

By the way, I would like to ask this question. Is there a difference between electronic guitar and bass tuners? I don't know this as I've never looked to see if there was. Just curious.

There can be. Some tuners that aren't designed to "read" signals as low as the bass spectrum will not track the lowest strings. However, you can usually use those same tuners to tune your harmonics instead of the open strings.

• Members
If you go back and read my post, I did say only slightly didn't I oh illiterate nube? And I also said that it shouldn't change to the point the string should break. Go back and read it more slowly, maybe that will help.
;)

Oh, and you forgot to include the diameter of the string. Another important factor concerning tension.

Diameter of the string (at least in my mind anyway) is part of " the type of string".
Oh and feel free to lash out at anybody else in your replies to my posts!:D

Archived