Acoustic 361 bass stack

ericz

• Members

Just found out that Jaco and John Paul Jones used the same amp. I'd kill a man for that setup. They went outta business in the 80's. I wonder how much one of the stacks would go for nowadays.

a bunch

the last couple of preamp units i've seen have been in the 4 - 800.00 range.

the power amp was built into the bottom of the cabinet (the 301) and i haven't seen one for sale in forever.

• Members

a bunch

the last couple of preamp units i've seen have been in the 4 - 800.00 range.

the power amp was built into the bottom of the cabinet (the 301) and i haven't seen one for sale in forever.

John Paul Jones used the 370/301 stack.

Jaco used the 360/361.

And they're not that expensive.

• Members

John Paul Jones used the 370/301 stack.

Jaco used the 360/361.

And they're not
that
expensive.

Acoustic 361 bass stack, consisting of an Acoustic 360 bass pre-amplifier and one or two Acoustic 361 W-bins, each featuring a built-in 200-watt RMS power amplifier and a rear-facing 18" Cerwin-Vega loudspeaker.

Ebay doesn't have anything. Where else would I look for a 30 year old amp? That would just be cool to own even if I didn't use it much.

• Members

When I was coming up a lot of guys used the 360/361 rig. They were plenty loud! I went to many an outside gig where the first thing I heard, when I got near the venue, was the 360/361. Man those carried a long way. I'm sure the folded horn cabinet (and the 18") allowed for a more developed bass wave.

The only knock I had, and still have, is that they were a total loss on the high end and tended to be somewhat woofy with very pronounced mids.

Still ....it was one of the killers of the day.

PD

• Members

The only knock I had, and still have, is that they were a total loss on the high end and tended to be somewhat woofy with very pronounced mids.

Jaco used the "Variamp" EQ controls on his two Acoustic 361 amplifiers to boost the midrange frequencies, thus accentuating the natural growling tone of his fretless passive Fender Jazz Bass and roundwound string combination.

Listened to him for years, looked him up on Wikipedia for something and learned a whole lot.

Archived