B-E-A-D Bassists...I need a little coaching...

JacieFB

• Members

I have two five string basses both tuned to a low B. Don't use it much. Mostly I use the low string to play from the E up in a better position on the neck. One of these days I'm going to change one of them to a high C string configuration. (Hands really aren't big enough to consider a six string.) You probably will do fine with the four strings. (Also, it took me 18 months to get fully comfortable with five strings. Audition with the four.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They play ONLY in B???!?

Dude. No matter what you do, don't play for a band that only has songs written in one key....

And no, you don't have to tune a bass BEAD if you want to play in B, only if you want the low B.....

edit: so I read some of the thread, and I still wouldn't be that interested in playing in a band that only has songs written in one non-standard tuning.

• Members

Hey Kindness-

Since we're talking about making new nuts here...

How important is it to have all of the proper tools...like a small vice, various different types of files, gauge saws, and all of that stuff. I think I am going to be replacing the nut of my Modulus, and I am more than confident in myself to do it...but I don't have the tools. Stew Mac has that nut making kit, but once I buy that and the nut material and get it all shipped, it'll be pretty close to $200!

I'm positive that the right tools make the job 10 times easier, but is there stuff that I absolutely need and stuff that I don't? Or should I just suck it up and buy the kit, since I'll probably need all of that stuff later anyways?

Thanks!

• Members

Dude. No matter what you do, don't play for a band that only has songs written in
one key

Just because they tune down to B doesn't mean they only write in one key! What tuning you're in has nothing to do with what key you're in...it just makes certain things easier.

• Members

Just because they tune down to B doesn't mean they only write in one key! What tuning you're in has nothing to do with what key you're in...it just makes certain things easier.

+1

They don't write their songs all in the same key, but they play all in the same tuning.

• Moderators

Hey Kindness-

Since we're talking about making new nuts here...

How important is it to have all of the proper tools...like a small vice, various different types of files, gauge saws, and all of that stuff. I think I am going to be replacing the nut of my Modulus, and I am more than confident in myself to do it...but I don't have the tools. Stew Mac has that nut making kit, but once I buy that and the nut material and get it all shipped, it'll be pretty close to $200!

I'm positive that the right tools make the job 10 times easier, but is there stuff that I absolutely need and stuff that I don't? Or should I just suck it up and buy the kit, since I'll probably need all of that stuff later anyways?

Thanks!

It depends on whether you will be making one nut or 100. If you only need one nut every 5 years, only spend the money on all the tools if you get a lot of enjoyment from doing it yourself.

All you need is a file for shaping the nut and needle files for slotting the nut. I personally wouldn't do it without gauged slotting files and feeler gauges (to make sure your depths are optimal) but I've seen people do it with less. I also find a string spacing ruler to be a great help, but not essential. Also note that the kit Stew Mac sells does not include nut files appropriate for bass nuts. Those are sold separately.

• Members

The first post (which was what I read before I posted) made it sound like they played in the key of B.

• Moderators
I would probably only need one every 5 years, but I'm sure I'd get some enjoyment out of doing it myself also. I don't like to rely on other people...plus it would be nice if I could do some side work as a hobby for some people if they were interested. Right now I do some setups & electronic work...but nothing crazy yet. I do all of my own work on my basses/guitars, and it would be nice to be able to tackle anything that comes up in that process.

Plus...the more you know...the better off you'll be
:thu:

I agree on all counts. I have basically all of the elements of that kit, but not all purchased from Stew Mac or as a kit. You need a work piece holder (that vice looks nice but you can get away with cheaper if need be). You need shaping files. You need slotting files of the appropriate gauges. You need feeler gauges to make sure you don't slot too deeply. You want a string spacing guide. That should be good enough to make learning fun and easy.

Archived