B-E-A-D Bassists...I need a little coaching...

JacieFB

• Members

So, it looks like I may be trying out for a metal/hardcore band. :freak: Not that it's :freak: in general, just :freak: for me, as I've been a die-hard pop, rock, and punk music lover and player for a long time. In any event, they play in B. I'm not sure if that means B-E-A-D or some abomination of instrument tuning. I'm going at it with the notion that if it works out, I may look into a 5-string.

Meanwhile, no cash, but I've got 4-string basses coming out of my ass.

Since they are my 2 favorites to play in standard tuning, I tried my Ric and my MIA Fender Jazz in B-E-A-D. The Ric sounded like liquid death. :freak: The jazz sounded okay. It's a little clicky and I'm not quite satisfied with the amount of low end 'whomph' that I was getting...could use a little more. I did compress it a little more than usual and that helped. Still not the best sound in the world, but use-able. No further setup changes other than down-tuning. The intonation sounded okay to my ear for everything but the D(now A) string, but I didn't check it with the tuner.

So...umm...any tips?

Set up?

Lower pickup to get some of the clicks out?

I'm already using .110-.085-.065-.045 strings...is that sufficient?

Any EQ thoughts?

Any amp or cab thoughts? (I'm using the M-Pulse 600 with my Boogie 4x10. I have at my disposal the Basis M-2000 and 2 1x15 cabs. I prefer to stick with the 1 cab approach as it is the most portable for the time being. I can be flexible, though.)

Sorta related: Any 5-ers around 500~700 used that you'd recommend? The MM Stingray 5 would be the dream, but I doubt there will be the $ for that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a funny thing...I just grabbed a set of the strings that I have laying around for spare...wouldn't you know it, MF accidently sent me a set of 5-string bass strings. I have a .130, .110, .085, .065, .045 at my disposal.

Useful?

• Members

it all depends on whether they play in B, or in Drop-B, i suppose. my current band plays in Drop-C (actual tuning on a 4-string bass is C-G-C-F). So, my basses are strung B-A-D-G, and tuned as mentioned above.

I suppose if they play straight B, just string and tune BEAD. if they play drop-B, string BEAD and tune BFBE...

dunno. i'm useless. i know, because my wife tells me that often :D:D

• Moderators

Here's a funny thing...I just grabbed a set of the strings that I have laying around for spare...wouldn't you know it, MF accidently sent me a set of 5-string bass strings. I have a .130, .110, .085, .065, .045 at my disposal.

Useful?

I would use the BEAD strings from the 5 string set, but I would also have a new nut made for the bass. Keep the old nut too. That way if you go back to standard tuning, you can put the old nut right back on.

However, there shouldn't be any reason you have to detune unless that is a requirement of the gig; you can play in any key on your standard tuned 4 stringers. I understand it might simply be an aesthetics choice and that's cool too. Just trying to save you the hassle.

• Members

However, there shouldn't be any reason you have to detune unless that is a requirement of the gig; you can play in any key on your standard tuned 4 stringers. I understand it might simply be an aesthetics choice and that's cool too. Just trying to save you the hassle.

I know I could stick with standard tuning. I much prefer it over anything else.

However, I think it is the aesthetics and the willingness to do it will be to my benefit, here.

• Members

if they play drop-B, string BEAD and tune BFBE...

I somehow fear that this is the case...guitards and their drop-tunings...play a 4-fingered chord, goshdarnit!

Wouldn't it be B F# B E, though?

I'm trying to figure it out and it's making my head hurt. :(

• Moderators

Don't sweat the adjustments to your bass. Unless you are dealing with a neck that is flimsy (and that is unlikely based on what I know about your basses) they will be able to take the tension of a BEAD set. When it is time to go back to EADG, nothing will have permanently changed.

You will have to do a full setup if you want it to play as well as it can. You can just detune and say "that's good enough" and it probably is, but why not make it as good as it can be?

As for amplification, if you are having a hard time getting the oomph out of the lowest of lows, look to bump the 60-80 Hz range. This is the range where the second harmonics of those lowest notes live.

Get rid of the clicks either (1) with your technique and/or (2) by cutting the EQ at about 800 Hz. Play with it to see how much of a cut you need. It shouldn't take much unless you are a really clicky player.

• Members

Don't sweat the adjustments to your bass. Unless you are dealing with a neck that is flimsy (and that is unlikely based on what I know about your basses) they will be able to take the tension of a BEAD set. When it is time to go back to EADG, nothing will have permanently changed.

You will have to do a full setup if you want it to play as well as it can. You can just detune and say "that's good enough" and it probably is, but why not make it as good as it can be?

As for amplification, if you are having a hard time getting the oomph out of the lowest of lows, look to bump the 60-80 Hz range. This is the range where the second harmonics of those lowest notes live.

Get rid of the clicks either (1) with your technique and/or (2) by cutting the EQ at about 800 Hz. Play with it to see how much of a cut you need. It shouldn't take much unless you are a really clicky player.

Cool...I'll try those settings...and see if my 410 can handle the oomph! :D

As far as the clicks go...I'll see what's happening around 800. I used to have this trouble a lot with my P-bass. Ended up having to set the action really high, as it was mostly my aggressive picking, I think. I haven't had that trouble with the Jazz, even with lower action. I have also developed a heck of a lot more touch in the 6 years since I last had that problem. :thu: I think it's the flimsey strings, to be honest...playing it really softly, of course, the problem ceases. But I do want to play above whisper levels, so I need to do something.

• Moderators

Cool...I'll try those settings...and see if my 410 can handle the oomph!
:D

As far as the clicks go...I'll see what's happening around 800. I used to have this trouble a lot with my P-bass. Ended up having to set the action really high, as it was mostly my aggressive picking, I think. I haven't had that trouble with the Jazz, even with lower action. I have also developed a heck of a lot more touch in the 6 years since I last had that problem.
:thu:
I think it's the flimsey strings, to be honest...playing it really softly, of course, the problem ceases. But I do want to play above whisper levels, so I need to do something.

It is easier to clack and click when you are detuned and aren't using heavier gauge strings. Even a light touch can be too heavy. For a band like this, you might actually want to jack up your action a bit and dig in. It might fit the tone a little better.

You might also find that you need some of that clickiness to be heard through the low end sludge. You know, like the guy from Korn. :freak:

• Members

Worst case scenario, ship one of your babies up to me, I'll hook it up BEAD style and send it back to you. It might even come back to you feeling better than it left.
:)

That sounds like a great idea! :)

Actually, I'd rather drive up there and see it happen first hand!

Plus, since you Chicago folks get together often enough to call it dating, it would be very cool to check out a show and meet a whole swath of forumites.

:idea:

• Members

That sounds like a great idea!
:)

Actually, I'd rather drive up there and see it happen first hand!

Plus, since you Chicago folks get together often enough to call it dating, it would be very cool to check out a show and meet a whole swath of forumites.

:idea:

Well...bring your ass on up here!

:D

• Members

You might also find that you need some of that clickiness to be heard through the low end sludge. You know, like the guy from Korn.
:freak:

:cry:

I was actually wondering about that. I have been listening to the song the band has on their Myspace. I don't know if it's mixing, my speakers, or what, but I can't hear a single bass note. The guitars are nice and low, of course...

Luckily, the Jazz will do the trick nicely. If it cut through a mix any better, I'd be embarrassed! :D:o

• Members

For what it is worth, I use a jazz bass in a very heavy band that down tunes to D. The jazz sit perfectly in the mix. I cut through, but not obnoxiously so. I've tried at least 8 different basses with this band, and I always come back to the jazzes (Fender and Reverend)

If I were you I'd use the thicker 4 strings from the 5 string set, and file down the(or get a new) nut.

• Members

For what it is worth, I use a jazz bass in a very heavy band that down tunes to D. The jazz sit perfectly in the mix. I cut through, but not obnoxiously so. I've tried at least 8 different basses with this band, and I always come back to the jazzes (Fender and Reverend)

If I were you I'd use the thicker 4 strings from the 5 string set, and file down the(or get a new) nut.

+1 on the Jazz review. In my current band, we tune in D occasionally. It still works like a charm. The Jazz has been my go-to for a long time, now. Although, the Ric is getting a lot of attention lately! At least when I don't have my acoustic in my hands. :D

I'm thinking that I will probably do what I can with what I have for a tryout. Even though I have every reason to trust my baby in Kindness's hands, I am still retisant to change it because it's SOOO good at what it does now.

I'm eyeballing the Butterscotch Backup Jazz Bass as a good candidate for this treatment, though. Plus, I'm eyeballing my Highway One Tele that I got on a trade to sell to help finance a 5-er. :idea:

Archived