Of these songs, which is the "hardest"

collinwho

• Members

I say pick the easiest ones and make them hear it like they havent yet.....

meaning?

The nature of my playing is such that there will be a bit of my style in it regardless, but it isn't like I am going to rewrite the bass part of one of these songs.

• Members

i dont think that there is anything on there hard to play. thats all mindless crap.

I almost feel the same way. I've heard most of these songs before, and really I'm just indifferent to them. But people dont fill the dance floor, and bar owners don't pay decent money, to have me play random tunes that I like to hear.

• Members

I almost feel the same way. I've heard most of these songs before, and really I'm just indifferent to them. But people dont fill the dance floor, and bar owners don't pay decent money, to have me play random tunes that I like to hear.

i didn't mean that in a bad way. its cover band music. thats what people want to hear and its all really east to play. lucky for us!!! :D

• Members

i didn't mean that in a bad way. its cover band music. thats what people want to hear and its all really east to play. lucky for us!!!
:D

Thats really what is making this tough for me. I could probably learn 3/4 of this playlist in the next day, if not all of it. How am I supposed to pick 3?

• Members

Thats really what is making this tough for me. I could probably learn 3/4 of this playlist in the next day, if not all of it. How am I supposed to pick 3?

just pick your 3 favorites or maybe the 3 that you dont like or whatever. or just pick 13 of them and blow the audition out of the water

• Members

just pick your 3 favorites or maybe the 3 that you dont like or whatever. or just pick 13 of them and blow the audition out of the water

At this point, that is kind of what I am thinking, too. I might just spend tomorrow learning the whole list and show up monday and just say "You tell me what you want to hear"

• Members

I'd say Jump, Jive and Wail.

You kiddin'?

That song's the same walking line throughout the whole song, just about.

It changes keys toward the end, but that's it.

Seriously, none of those are really difficult at all.

I suppose if some of 'em have keyboard parts you could combine the bass and keyboard parts and come up with a real cool bassline?

• Members

Outta that list, "Blister in the Sun" and "Any Way You Want It" are more demanding than the rest, IMO. "Goodbye to You" requires more stamina than usual, as does the tag out of "Dancing With Myself". Playing that stuff in solid time and with authority should impress potential bandmates. Or maybe not - I'm new here and I don't know how y'all roll in the Twin Cities yet.

"Sweet Child 'o Mine" has the obligatory bass intro, which'll grab a little attention.

• Members

All Im gonna add to this thread is this:

Learn the arrangements and groove

Its better to play a song - any song -wrong, or make up a part, as long as you play your part with confidence, conviction, thats complimentary to the song, supports the other players (especially the vocals), and grooves like a mofo then to try and learn them note-right that doesnt move and sits there like a turd

Ive made a career doing that :)

• Members

Most of the songs are fairly easy. One that stands out -Smooth. I think the bass player was payed by the note for that song. Basic repeting pattern but a whole lot of filler notes in that one if you are trying to go note for note.

• Members

'What Would You Say' can be a handful IF their drummer has no clue. I'd also say you'll have to 'cowboy up' on 'Black Velvet should they do it in E-flat like the record and you're playing a fousr-string. The bass line owns that song, and the changes can be a bit confusing, as is that tumbling intro line the bass repeats a few times through the song.

• Members

All Im gonna add to this thread is this:

Learn the arrangements and groove

Its better to play a song - any song -wrong, or make up a part, as long as you play your part with confidence, conviction, thats complimentary to the song, supports the other players (especially the vocals), and grooves like a mofo then to try and learn them note-right that doesnt move and sits there like a turd

Ive made a career doing that
:)

Yeah, but why would the songs not move if you played note for note? The originals move, they don't sit like a turd at all. Also, this band might be a cover band that aims to sound like the original recordings and might not want a made up and not accurate to the original bass line. Most of the really good cover bands around here play as close to original as possible, and that concept works great for crowds. I'd stay as true to original as possible until you get a feel for the band and see what their musical vision is.

• Members

Yeah, but why would the songs not move if you played note for note? The originals move, they don't sit like a turd at all. Also, this band might be a cover band that aims to sound like the original recordings and might not want a made up and not accurate to the original bass line. Most of the really good cover bands around here play as close to original as possible, and that concept works great for crowds. I'd stay as true to original as possible until you get a feel for the band and see what their musical vision is.

I never said note-for-note doesn't move--what I was inferring to is that (IMHO) - if given a choice - it is better to get the bassline in the ballpark and groove than to worry about weather the bassline to a given song is note perfect. Case and point: Mustang Sally - theres a crapload of different versions by different artists ( Wilson Pickett, Rufus Thomas, Buddy Guy - just to name three) and each one has a different bassline that compliments the drummer that recorded it (as the drum patterns differ by degrees). I play that song a million different ways because each drummer I play with approaches it differently.

For me, playing any given version of a song note-for-note only works if the drummer is copying the 'exact' drum part with the (most important) correct feel..in my area of Florida, this generally happens..oh..never.... If I play note-for-note and my drummer isnt, then I feel that Im playing by myself and not copping a groove with the drummer......

...As soon as the kick drum pattern is changed or said drummer is a 'cymbals drummer' ( my least favorite type of drummer), or "Boy, I think quads would sound great in this slow ballad!", or adding those wonderful pie-plate-hitting-garbage-can lid stab crashes and accents, or "I think I'll jazz upthis dance song, or especially if hes pushing the groove instead of playing on the beat, then the groove changes and so does my bass part to compensate...... Heck, one drummer's feel over another drummer is enough to alter my bass parts...and the more and more a drummer adds to a beat, the less and less I'll play...............

...so I'll get it as close as possible with leeway for Omar Peart Bonham and his new Musicians Friend Special double-kick pedal that he absolutely had to bring to the gig last night :rolleyes:.......

...just my opinion, of course.......

• Members

meaning?

The nature of my playing is such that there will be a bit of my style in it regardless, but it isn't like I am going to rewrite the bass part of one of these songs.

I am not saying to rewrite it. play it right play it loud and play it like you mean it....

• Members

I would just try to learn as many as I could. If I was auditioning someone and they came knowing most of the material, I'd be pretty damn happy.

I hate when you tell someone to learn a few songs, and they play the {censored} out of them...but then you don't really have anything else to play even though you REALLY wanna hear more from them.

Archived