A question for the French Press coffee maker users

justinbass

• Members

How coarse/fine do you grind your beans?

I am finding myself needing to use more beans per cup to make French press coffee than I did with my old drip maker. Is this normal?

I am not complaining. This is the best damn coffee I've ever had.
:thu:

If you grind the coffee too fine there is enough pressure on the glass cylinder to crack or break it.

Standard drip grind or slightly coarser is what you want...

• Members

How coarse/fine do you grind your beans?

I am finding myself needing to use more beans per cup to make French press coffee than I did with my old drip maker. Is this normal?

I am not complaining. This is the best damn coffee I've ever had.

Are you letting the coffee/water sit before you press it?

• Members

My big question is, is it safe to wash the grounds down the sink, or will it clog it up?

I stopped using my press because I was afraid to do this and it was creating a huge mess...

C7

I've never had any problems with it, at least. And I've been doing that for at least ten years now.

• Members

I use a French press at home. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I think pressed coffee tastes better that drip.

I grind the beans medium coarse, add boiling water, let the coffee steep for four minutes, then take the plunge. I've been doing it for twenty-odd years with no problems.

• Members

My big question is, is it safe to wash the grounds down the sink, or will it clog it up?

I stopped using my press because I was afraid to do this and it was creating a huge mess...

C7

coffee grounds are also good as fertilizer, you can just throw them into your yard or flowers, etc.

• Members

I'll ask again here, haven't not gotten much response in the older thread:

Anyone got recommendations for a good small grinder that gives decent control over the grind size? The little blender-ish grinder I've been using just doesn't cut it.

• Members

C7

I did have a clogged sink problem. Don't know if it was due to the coffee grounds or old plumbing.

My solution was to flush the grounds down the toilet.

• Members

I'll ask again here, haven't not gotten much response in the older thread:

Anyone got recommendations for a good small grinder that gives decent control over the grind size? The little blender-ish grinder I've been using just doesn't cut it.

There was a good looking grinder in that coffee thread near the end that someone posted. The one with the dosing for shots... a little messy, but not a bad way to go if the grinding mechanism is decent.

• Members

There was a good looking grinder in that coffee thread near the end that someone posted. The one with the dosing for shots... a little messy, but not a bad way to go if the grinding mechanism is decent.

The Rancilio Rocky I posted? Yah, good machine.. check out www.coffeegeek.com they can give good recommendations for grinders, there are a couple of smaller cheaper grinders available here in Australia that are ok, but for you guys Stateside I'm not sure what you have available.

From memory Gaggia makes a nice little domestic burr grinder about half the price of the Rancilio (ok for French press/moka pot but not so good for espresso).

I love my coffee! {censored}, you reckon guitar/bass people are snobs with gear.. wait till you get in with some serious coffee people :freak:.. nutso..

• Members

Ok, let me rephrase - suggestions for a decent burr grinder
under $100
, preferably maybe half that. The Rancilio looks nice, but I can't see paying hundreds of dollars for a coffee grinder.

You should be able to pick up a good one for under $50 at a Starbuck's or Bed, Bath and Beyond. Probably Crate and Barrel too. I got rid of ours since I have the Grind and Brew. Anything sold at any of those stores should be good.

• Members

You should be able to pick up a good one for under $50 at a Starbuck's or Bed, Bath and Beyond. Probably Crate and Barrel too. I got rid of ours since I have the Grind and Brew. Anything sold at any of those stores should be good.

Actually when I used to check the boards on coffeegeek I do seem to recall someone mentioning that Starbucks did sell a decent little burr grinder (you want a burr grinder, not one with blades)..

But yeah, the Rancilio is a whole different level!

• Members

Around here, grinders pretty much belong to the past.

It's easy to get very good ground coffee in airtight containers.

Grinding is too much of an hassle for the little it brings in terms of quality.

I'd pass on the grinder and use the money to get better coffee in the first place.

If nothing else, Starbucks made USA realize that coffee wasn't supposed to be tasteless colored water.

• Members

Around here, grinders pretty much belong to the past.

It's easy to get very good ground coffee in airtight containers.

Grinding is too much of an hassle for the little it brings in terms of quality.

I'd pass on the grinder and use the money to get better coffee in the first place.

If nothing else, Starbucks made USA realize that coffee wasn't supposed to be tasteless colored water.

:eek:

Dude, in the nicest possible way.. I have to disagree with you in the absolute extreme.. And most baristas would agree 100% here.. if its been sitting ground for more than 30 seconds.. toss it!

Fresh ground is the ONLY way to go!

(and I see you're French too... sob... next the Italians will be telling us that pre made pasta sauce is ok.. whats happening to the world.. sob.. :) )

• Members

:eek:

Dude, in the nicest possible way.. I have to disagree with you in the absolute extreme.. And most baristas would agree 100% here.. if its been sitting ground for more than 30 seconds.. toss it!

(and I see you're French too... sob...
next the Italians will be telling us that pre made pasta sauce is ok.. whats happening to the world.. sob..
:)
)

which is probably why he and his companions would know better...

• Members

which is probably why he and his companions would know better...

But really.. ground coffee is normally considered off within a minute or so of grinding, the lovely smell of fresh ground coffe is all the good aromatic coffee oils evaporating rather than going into your coffee.. The coffee you buy pre ground at the supermarket HAS to be stale before going into those vacuum bags or the bags blow up.

• Members

Starbucks also convinced people that a cup of coffee should cost $5 and taste like a candy bar, possibly a milkshake.

I love when people come in and buy straight shots. They come out of the automated espressomatic almost DOA, and are easily the weakest, lousiest shots I've seen come from a commercial espresso machine. People drink em down in little cups and front like they're cultured for getting espresso shots at starbucks, even though there's an amazing coffee shop next door.

chunkathalon

ex-barista:

currently a starbucks monkey

• Members

But really.. ground coffee is normally considered off within a minute or so of grinding, the lovely smell of fresh ground coffe is all the good aromatic coffee oils evaporating rather than going into your coffee.. The coffee you buy pre ground at the supermarket HAS to be stale before going into those vacuum bags or the bags blow up.

Honestly, I think preparation and beans are bigger factors than whether the coffee has been ground in the last 20 minutes. It's a factor, but I don't mind grinding coffee a week in advance.

Now, coffee that is ground, packed, and shipped has always been disappointing to me, even when they use those magic bags with the 1 way valves... (which prevent the bag from blowing up btw.)

• Members

(and I see you're French too... sob... next the Italians will be telling us that pre made pasta sauce is ok.. whats happening to the world.. sob..
:)
)

In the nicest possible way, the whole barista thing is truly over the top, a way to make people blow money on coffee.

Making good coffee isn't rocket science. You need very hot limestone free water (not boiling), well roasted beans (not burnt), regular grinding.

Expresso machine needs to push a lot of pressure very quickly. That's about it.

Quality and diversity come from good beans. They guy pressing the buttons on the boiler isn't very important.

Archived