Lessons - Is this right?

bersly

• Members

In the process of getting my son started - he wants to learn bass.

I contacted a local music lesson guy and he seems to think it is better to start out on a guitar and then transition to bass a short bit later,

Does this sound right ?

• Moderators

that is the stupidest advice that I've ever heard. Find another teacher. Specifically one who specializes in bass. Most guitar players think they can play bass and treat it like a big guitar.

That would be my concern with this instructor as well.

• Members

Not if your son wants to learn bass. That makes no sense at all.

+1

If he wants to play bass, then learn bass.

Sounds quite novel, doesn't it? :idea:

Really though, you should probably avoid this guy like the plague. Well, maybe not like the plague, but don't think of taking advice on this matter.

• Members

that is the stupidest advice that I've ever heard. Find another teacher. Specifically one who specializes in bass. Most guitar players think they can play bass and treat it like a big guitar.

Yep. Too many guitard-teachers who think bass is a big guitar.

• Members

How old is your son? Does he have any musical background? Do you? What got him into bass? Where are you looking for instructors? All of this kind of information can help us help you find what you are looking for.

Very good questions being asked. If the kid is young with small hands, guitar might not be a bad idea, but I'd personally be checking out short-scale basses first. A full size bass for a young player can be a major turn off if he's having a hard time playing it at first. Get him a smaller bass, just be prepared for the upgrade in a year or 3.

• Members

If the kid is young with small hands, guitar might not be a bad idea, but I'd personally be checking out short-scale basses first. A full size bass for a young player can be a major turn off if he's having a hard time playing it at first. Get him a smaller bass, just be prepared for the upgrade in a year or 3.

:p Pretty much the same thing I told bersly weeks ago :wave:

• Members

My son started bass lessons at age 6 at the local music shop. Basically he brought in a song and he teacher showed him how to play it. That teacher left and he got a new teacher last year. It's like night and day. His new teacher has started him off with the basics and they've progressed through the first year Berklee bass book. He started at the Paul Green School of Rock this year, too. (He's 9 now.) His teachers have been great, but one other thing that really helped him has been my husband ( a guitar player) practicing with him every night, and with a metronome. My husband's involvement been great not only to keep his interest up (after all, he's a young kid), but also because people that hear him always comment on how great his timing is.

On the gear front, he started with a small scale bass (obviously), but switched with no problems to a MIM Fender P bass this year. (Actually, that's why I'm on these boards - I buy all his gear and like to read the reviews.)

• Members

That happened to me when I was 8. Wanted to play bass, but I took guitar lessons for a couple years then switched to bass. That's the ONLY reason I'm not as good as Billy Sheehan! j/k

But it is true. A kid is only going to want to play what they want to play.

• Members

On the gear front, he started with a small scale bass (obviously), but switched with no problems to a MIM Fender P bass this year. (Actually, that's why I'm on these boards - I buy all his gear and like to read the reviews.)

Will you be my mom, too?:D

Seriously, that killer. I worked in a shop for a while and had 11 year olds come in with bigger hands than mine, and I play a 5 string, so it's kind of a misnomer that hand size means alot.

Incidentally, I met Stew McKinsey a few weeks ago, and he plays an 8 string bass. His hands are miniscule.:D

To the OP, there are TONS of bass instructors out there. Personally, I'd find one that teaches only bass, not both, because his approach to the instrument is going to be more fundamental, IMO.

C7

• Members

In the process of getting my son started - he wants to learn bass.

I contacted a local music lesson guy and he seems to think it is better to start out on a guitar and then transition to bass a short bit later,

Does this sound right ?

No:freak:

That sounds totally wrong.

• Members

That's pretty good advice, imho.

I'd add one caveat though:

Start him on guitar, and if he fails to learn how to play it competently switch him over to bass after a little bit. The instructor just doesn't want to risk any talent being wasted on a bass player. Talent just gets in the way after awhile, and you end up with a "bass soloist" or some sort of Flea wannabe.

• Members

I agree with everyone else that if he wants to learn bass thats what he should get lessons for.

I think he would also benefit from a few basic Guitar lessons. basic chords and patterns just so he can follow by eye as well as ear.

2 years ago after playing Only bass since 1979 I took some guitar lessons. the guy had me playing some bass lines also.

I am not very good at Guitar as after 25 years or so of playing bass i couldnt form and move to the chords as fast as I would like to. I am a bass player and it is what I like. I did benefit for a few guitar lessons as I can now see the chords the guitarist is playing and follw that way too....

no sense limiting him to just 1 instrument especially when he is so young and can adapt. my 43 year old fingers do not have the dexterity to got from big strings to the little ones on a guitar

Archived