preamps-power amps- and bass cabs oh my!

davidM

• Members

Funny you mention doing this because I've been talking with someone on TalkBass who suggested I try a power amp with a Sans RBI. I then looked at some and liked the specs of the RMX 850 :)

Let me know what you think once you're all done. And, if possible, record some stuff!

What kind of bass ya using?

• Members
Funny you mention doing this because I've been talking with someone on TalkBass who suggested I try a power amp with a Sans RBI. I then looked at some and liked the specs of the RMX 850
:)

Let me know what you think once you're all done. And, if possible, record some stuff!

What kind of bass ya using?

If I remember your rig from a different post, the same bass as you, color and all. Fender Active Deluxe Jazz, black, red guard.

Once its built I'll post up photos and I might shoot a youtube video for the PSA1.1 because there is only one clip up there, and if this thing is only half as amazing as its made out to be I will have like a MacGyver Swiss Army knife for a head. Bass, guitar, whatever.... its will slay all.

• Members

If I remember your rig from a different post, the same bass as you, color and all. Fender Active Deluxe Jazz, black, red guard.

Once its built I'll post up photos and I might shoot a youtube video for the PSA1.1 because there is only one clip up there, and if this thing is only half as amazing as its made out to be I will have like a MacGyver Swiss Army knife for a head. Bass, guitar, whatever.... its will slay all.

Awesome. When should you have it in? Did you get it used or new?

• Members
Most, I assume, are strangely drawn toward my posts, kinda like driving past an accident scene and staring at the wreckage even though you know you shouldn't.

I know but this one is most spooky. :eek:

Of course, I worked in healthcare and I always got pissed when there was a car accident and every freekin' body had to slow to see the presumed guts and gore. Bunch of curious bastages. :mad:

• Members

Awesome. When should you have it in? Did you get it used or new?

New, I have a really good friend who works at a gc so I get decent deals.

Funny story... last job I worked at a video store, nice guy used to come in a d rent movies, so I would void late fees for him.... two years later, he's working at guitar center. Karma!

should be in about a week?

• Members
I know but this one is most spooky.
:eek:

Of course, I worked in healthcare and I always got pissed when there was a car accident and every freekin' body had to slow to see the presumed guts and gore. Bunch of curious bastages.
:mad:

Unless it's a motorcycle accident I don't even bother anymore.

• Members

New, I have a really good friend who works at a gc so I get decent deals.

Funny story... last job I worked at a video store, nice guy used to come in a d rent movies, so I would void late fees for him.... two years later, he's working at guitar center. Karma!

should be in about a week?

Awesome.

A drummer I once played with, his father works at a GC. I got my 8x10 and GK for around $900 with tax and road case. Ahhh, love it!

The QSC RMX850 looks sweet. Since I've got the 8x10, I shouldn't have to worry too much about blowing it up.

• Members

Awesome.

A drummer I once played with, his father works at a GC. I got my 8x10 and GK for around $900 with tax and road case. Ahhh, love it!

The QSC RMX850 looks sweet. Since I've got the 8x10, I shouldn't have to worry too much about blowing it up.

There was a guy selling his 8x10 locally for 400 dollars, but I just can't get it into my currently living space... bandless right now, so there is no studio, but I'm sure i'll score one of those when I get into a new band. But I won't pay 1000 bucks for it. yikes!

• Members
Yeah, those are still a bit interesting to me.
:D

It's all about the smear!

There was a spill a few blocks from my place, and I guess it was messy, my roomie described it as, and I quote: "a huge pile of blood."

me - "a pile of blood huh?"

her - "yea, a pile!"

... she wasn't being cute or funny, she was serious. :rolleyes:

• Members

Just a comment on running the RMX amps in bridged mode. I have a 1850HD and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why bridged mode sounded exactly the same volume as regular stereo mode.

If you are using Speakon connectors, you will have to modify the amplifier end of the cable to 1+ and 2+ instead of 1- and 1- to get the QSC to bridge properly.

I spent an entire frustrated rehearsal running my power amp at maximum into my Acme Low B-4 trying to figure out why it wasn't loud enough. Once I re-wired the cable, I was able to get the same volume from the rig with the QSC gain knob at only 1/4 of what it was before.

Just a thought...

• Members

Just a comment on running the RMX amps in bridged mode. I have a 1850HD and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why bridged mode sounded exactly the same volume as regular stereo mode.

If you are using Speakon connectors, you will have to modify the amplifier end of the cable to 1+ and 2+ instead of 1- and 2- to get the QSC to bridge properly.

I spent an entire frustrated rehearsal running my power amp at maximum into my Acme Low B-4 trying to figure out why it wasn't loud enough. Once I re-wired the cable, I was able to get the same volume from the rig with the QSC gain knob at only 1/4 of what it was before.

Just a thought...

I think the manual said something about that too, I'll take a look into it more closely after the preamp arrives. Then I'll have a better idea what I'm looking at for sound levels. I don't need to turn my place into rubble.

such strange devils, these, power amps!

• Members

I'm all for your setup.

Suggestion: don't keep plugging in your bass to the QSC- wait for the SansAmp for Lamb's sakes!

I use a United Audio LA-610 for a pre and a Stewart 2.1 for the amp- bridged at 1950 watts! The thing is so loud and the tone is uncolored- I am a rock god (in my mind...).

• Members

I'm all for your setup.

Suggestion: don't keep plugging in your bass to the QSC- wait for the SansAmp for Lamb's sakes!

I use a United Audio LA-610 for a pre and a Stewart 2.1 for the amp- bridged at 1950 watts! The thing is so loud and the tone is uncolored- I am a rock god (in my mind...).

with that many watts at your command, you can be whatever you wanna be, I don't think anyone will argue with you. such power could cause a person to dematerialize on the cellular level!

Kinda like Lawnmower Man!

• Members
In this case, I would bridge the QSC and enable the 30Hz filter. Crank the QSC and regulate the overall volume via the sansamp.

Should be a nice sounding rig.
:thu:

the sansamp can't be used in that way unless you plan on dialing in a sound and forgetting it. the Master volume is part of each individual preset so every time you change, so will your volume.

• Members
Yeah, those are still a bit interesting to me.
:D

One night on the way back from snowboarding there was bad, I mean really bad traffic.

So we stick with it, and they had the left 3 lanes shut down, when we got to the accident, there was a pickup truck with a body pinned under it, barely covered in a yellow sheet.:eek:

On topic:
I will be eagerly awaiting the clips of the rig, as I am most likely going to invest in something similar (my current amp is falling the shiza apart).

• Members

the sansamp can't be used in that way unless you plan on dialing in a sound and forgetting it. the Master volume is part of each individual preset so every time you change, so will your volume.

That you are correct about! Thankfully the wattage is low enough I can just dial it from the amp.

I'm trying to get a camcorder... but it may be a while so I can shoot a video where it looks like I know what I'm doing. Also I'm still learning bass so I hope yall like Close to Me by the Cure!

Hahaha!

• Members

Why don't ya play some Misfits or Danzig??

I like this idea! May as well since I used the misfits as my teaching tool when I learned guitar. Nothing thrilled my parents more then me playing Where Eagles Dare and singing in my room...

'I aint no goddamn son of a bitch! You better listen to me baby!'

Over and over again!

The plan is going to be a two part piece one for guitar, one for bass.

My initial impressions after about a half hour of playing is that's its pretty damn close. I used to have a mesa recto head and that preset was spot on for both clean and dirty.

edit : spooky... my post count is 666 now.

• Members

Oh by the way, I'm noticing a little hiss and buzzing sounds, but not a consistant noise...

I'm runing the preamp and amp through a furman power conditioner so that should eliminate the dirty power, and ideas? I have a fender jazz deluxe.

Would a rocktron super hush c fix the problem? This rig is going to be for bass and guitar, and I know the rocktron is pretty standard for guitar noise, but will it work the same magic for bass?

Or should I just run my boss ns-2 through the effects loop and hid i in the rack?

Archived