preamps-power amps- and bass cabs oh my!

davidM

• Members

Alright, I'm a newbie to this area of audio. I've done the combo amps and heads for about 10 years, and now that I'm getting into bass, I decided to build a rack system. I'm trying to find a good resource that can help explain how this all works. I can hook it up, and get sound, but I want to know how to get the most bang for my buck in setting up the power amp without damaging my bass cab.

Quick reference point:

preamp - Sansamp PSA1.1 (on the way :) )

power amp - QSC Audio RMX850

bass cab - Ampeg 410 hlf

I'm not so much asking for someone to hold my hand through this process as a good online resource to help me understand the science of sound in these types of rigs. The manuals have been a little help, but power amps are such multi-faceted devices that they don't focus much on bass rigs as they do PA applications in the manual.

Thanks guys and gals!

• Members

In this case, I would bridge the QSC and enable the 30Hz filter. Crank the QSC and regulate the overall volume via the sansamp.

Should be a nice sounding rig.
:thu:

That's what I was looking for!

This was the course I was planning on, but I've seen BAD things happen when people mess around with things they don't know much about that have high voltages. (last time it was a friend messing with guitar amp while it was plugged in. "hey, aren't there capacitors in there that ca.... (insert bright bluish white flash here)"

Just needed a little pointing.

• Members

My only word of caution is the HLF is "only" a 600 watt cab. Bridged mono your amp is capable of 800+. Just saying....
:)

Meh, the output of the PSA is designed to drive mic inputs or guitar amp inputs, it isn't hot enough to get the full 800 watts out of an RMX850.

• Members

In this case, I would bridge the QSC and enable the 30Hz filter. Crank the QSC and regulate the overall volume via the sansamp.

Should be a nice sounding rig.
:thu:

I did this last night when I got home, and didn't notice a large increase in volume. Or any at all.

I'm running the bass directly into the amp while I wait for the Sansamp to arrive, would this account for my lack of volume?

• Members

Don't forget the midi buddy for manipulating presets on the PSA.

I was probably just going to get the midi mouse to control it. Clean and fuzzy. If only there was a one button controller... when am I rocking I don't want to have to worry about a misfire, oh {censored}, wrong button. Its like farting when your getting a blow job.

Archived