Three rescue workers were killed and six injured ...

bassman1956

• Members

I don't know if I'm off-base or whatever, but I can't stop thinking that Bob Murray is a {censored}ing prick that's trying to cover his ass. Something tells me he was complicit in whatever created the unsafe conditions in that mine...

Sad day. I'm not optimistic they're going to find anyone alive at this point, but I guess they can't stop trying, you know?

Sucks.

C7

then again he may be a very kind person who is trying to do everything he can to get to those trapped miners.

i think he has even gone into the mine himself to try to figure out a way to reach the trapped miners.

making harsh statements about people you don't even know is a bit judgemental don't you think?

it is inapropriate to lay the blame on any man when it is known that seismic activity is probably the reason for the cave in.

• Members

No, I don't, I know what he's said in public, and I know that he has lied to cover his ass.

how do you know he has lied to cover his ass?

what is it that he needs to lie about to cover up?

you are putting the cart in front of the horse without knowing any thing about what is going on other than what you have heard from the news.

• Members

..As I said, mountains do shift. In fact, that is suposedly what happened last night in the second collapse...

"The cave-in at 6:39 p.m. was believed to be caused by a "mountain bump," in which shifting ground forces chunks of rock from the walls. The force from the bump registered a 1.6 at the University of Utah seismograph stations in Salt Lake City.

Stickler said it also unleashed a massive blast of coal and support material that hit the miners working to clear rubble from the underground tunnel. The blast created a destruction zone about 30 feet long along a wall of the chamber, and knocked out steel posts, chain link fencing and the cables that tied everything together.

"When that energy gets released, it's like an explosion," Stickler said."

from Yahoo! news.

• Members

Sure, there are accidents. That doesn't excuse rich men taking risks with the lives of poor men by sending them in to conditions guaranteed to cause preventable accidents.

but it would be acceptable for a poor man to send a rich man in?

Your hate of the "rich" is really contemptible. It's his fault because he's rich.

Last I checked no one held a gun to anyones head to make them go to work for him did they?

And how do you know the conditions were "guaranteed to cause preventable accidents". do you have a degree in mining and geology? have you inspected the site first hand and come to these conclusions ot did you just jump to them as quickly as you blame the rich for all the worlds problems.

personally, if he really IS at fault, I would like to see him strung up from the nearest treee,but I'll wait and see what the investigation uncovers rather than strap a noose around the nearest rich guys neck.

I guess rich=guilty for you. Just like black=guilty for many others.

No better, no worse.

• Members
"The cave-in at 6:39 p.m. was believed to be caused by a "mountain bump," in which shifting ground forces chunks of rock from the walls. The force from the bump registered a 1.6 at the University of Utah seismograph stations in Salt Lake City.

Stickler said it also unleashed a massive blast of coal and support material that hit the miners working to clear rubble from the underground tunnel. The blast created a destruction zone about 30 feet long along a wall of the chamber, and knocked out steel posts, chain link fencing and the cables that tied everything together.

"When that energy gets released, it's like an explosion," Stickler said."

from Yahoo! news.

I did hear that. Mountain bump, that's a new one in my vocabulary.

Now a mountain shift (bump) why couldn't that be measured as seismic activity? Rhetorical question.

When Murray said it was a seismic event I believe this is what he meant; not an earthquake. Of course, the seismologists didn't say that or at least the press didn't report it that way. I think the press thought they meant earthquake so they are causing the controversy. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

• Members
Out here they reopened a lot of old copper mines becuase the price went back up. We have a few gold and nickel mines, and a ton of iron mines.

And not a single one of them would I go into.

Yeah, its scary enough living on top on mines.:freak:

• Members

Yes, also

copper

aluminum

gold

platinum

cobalt

chromium

manganese

magnesium

lead

nickel

palladium

silver

tin

titanium

tungsten

uranium

vanadium

zinc

salt

oil sand

diamond

there are probably others......

Add to that list...

borax

bentonite

molybdenum

helium

potassium

sulphur

lime

gypsum

lithium

phosphate

• Members

as Hawkhuff pointed out mining is big business in the US.

do they not have mining operations where you are from?

Nowadays, only open sky and for minerals mostly. Chalk, slate, bentonite, various stones.

We used to have huge coal, iron, slate and copper mines but they have been exploited as much as possible. They're now dry or too weak to be financially viable.

France doesn't have many ressources in its ground. Very little oil, a huge natural gas layer now pretty much empty, barely any metal veins.

• Members

but it would be acceptable for a poor man to send a rich man in?

Your hate of the "rich" is really contemptible. It's his fault because he's rich.

Last I checked no one held a gun to anyones head to make them go to work for him did they?

And how do you know the conditions were "guaranteed to cause preventable accidents". do you have a degree in mining and geology? have you inspected the site first hand and come to these conclusions ot did you just jump to them as quickly as you blame the rich for all the worlds problems.

personally, if he really IS at fault, I would like to see him strung up from the nearest treee,but I'll wait and see what the investigation uncovers rather than strap a noose around the nearest rich guys neck.

I guess rich=guilty for you. Just like black=guilty for many others.

No better, no worse.

You guys are apparently not reading what I've said, and not reading the news on this horrible tragedy either.

Murray has repeatedly made statements contradicting those of people who know one hell of a lot more about what happened than he does, including, but not limited to: geologists, seismologists, mining industry safety experts (both government and industry) and his own miners. I'll admit, I have a bias: I've been in the corporate world long enough that when I hear a CEO contradicting statements of people who know better, including techincal experts on the subject and the workers closest to the issue, I tend not to trust the CEO.

I don't hate rich people. I don't even hate CEOs. I hate liars. Perhaps I'm jumping to judgement, but from what I've seen thus far, there's every indication that this guy is a liar, and he has provided no evidence supporting his contradictory statements.

Again, I feel for the miners and their families.

If you believe the CEO who is placing responsibility everywhere but on himself, over the experts and his own workers, well, you're bigger fools than I.

Archived