QUESTION - Victor Wooten and Jaco Pastorius

eoinwalsh

• Members

my 2 favourite bass players are Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten. I'd love to know how to get the different tones that each of them use individually. would there be any particular bass to get? but more importantly, how could i recreate their tones on any bass?

• Members

90% of the time, I agree with the tone is in the fingers comments. In Jaco's case, you can almost get his tone soloing the bridge pickup on a fretless Fender Jazz. You will need to practice and study theory for years to be able to play anything like him, but you can get close to his basic tone easily enough. :thu:

• Members

I'll second that you can get a Jaco-y sound soloing a fretless J bridge pickup. Lots of folks do that and get close, though never quite the same. Not the same amount of that smooth growl that Jaco had, or something.

Wooten's sound is a bit harder to nail down. His bass and setup alone are both pretty darn unique. His main bass, I think, is a neck-thru with some pretty exotic hardwoods in the construction and a VERY powerful set of electronics, and he uses very thin strings, like 35-95 gauge. To top that off, his style has evolved to conform to that setup, making it more difficult to replicate his tone. Its very difficult for me to get a Wooten-y tone.

• Members

What HE said!

Yep. It's interesting to see the Wooten thumbstroke style spreading......cats are getting cool....just like 25 yrs ago with the Jaco style players

I don't know a lot about Wooten but his bass sounds soft and warm, Jaco is sharp and tight.

Archived