Bass Pedals for a Beginner

scottder

• Members

Though I plan to play mostly clean from my bass (yet to arrive). I'd love to be able to play with some basic tones (I am a fan of Metal and Steve Harris in particular), any recommendations on some inexpensive pedals/effects to get those kind of tones without breaking the bank.

Thanks

Scott

• Members

For being a beginner, it's best to stay away from anything to mask your tone, as you can become hooked on them because they "sound cool".

That will lead to never really hearing how you actually play. I'd give it at least a few months of straight Bass, cord, amp.

Having said that, the Zoom B-2 is a neat multi effects tool/toy to have.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1855&brandID=4

• Members

Steve Harris plays with a clean tone anyway.

Tuner, strap, metronome, decent amp, good cable are what you must aim at first.

The PD-7 is good for cheap but I too would avoid using it at first.

Metronome...dang I knew I was forgetting something in my order the other night. Will just try to find one locally.

• Members

You can make a lot of tones without any effects. Use your fingers, eq settings, tone controls etc. and you'll be surprised what you can do. I'd stay away from effects for now.

Yo.

What everybody said. I've played for 13 years, 11 of which I never used an effect. I bought a amp modeller with effects 2 years ago with effects built in. I still rarely use it.

At this point, play music, don't play with music toys. (And listen to good music like Maiden and good bass playin' in other styles.)

• Members

What everybody said. I've played for 13 years, 11 of which I never used an effect. I bought a amp modeller with effects 2 years ago with effects built in. I still rarely use it.

At this point, play music, don't play with music toys. (And listen to good music like Maiden and good bass playin' in other styles.)

Thanks... Maiden, Jaco Pastorius, Primus, and Stanley Clarke on the ipod nano as we speak :) (and I am open to suggestions)

• Members

As a beginner, I suggest getting a drum machine ONLY.

Learn to play on the different beats, off beats, etc. Get your fingers strong. Work on the basics until you have become comfortable with them, then move on to the next step. Work on octaves and playing root/5th/octave moves to strengthen fingers. Learn to attack the strings properly with your fretting hand and to play the notes evenly with your finger/picking hand. Then, master dynamics. you can achieve a lot of different tones from how hard/soft you attack the strings and how/where you fret the note.

Then, turn on the TV or radio and try to play to whatever music is on---whether it be commercials, music video, etc. This helps develop your ear.

I've played with other bassists who could do really kewl licks, but couldn't play a simple blues shuffle without screwing up. People comment on what a great bass player I am--and 90% of what I do is what I would call "basic" movements. I know my major/minor scales and use octaves a lot. Also, I work to lock-in with the drummer. Am I great? No, not really. But, I have mastered the fundamentals (or at least have tried). Michael Jordan and Dr. J could do AWESOME dunks, but they could pass, dribble, play defense, see the court, etc. better than anyone else too. Their dunking ability did not make them great---their other talents did.

Sorry for the lecture. hehe :cool:

• Members

There are numerous good drum machines out there. I always liked my Zoom 123 and 234. Cheap, easy to create your own beats, enough usable presets. Search the internet too. It's been a while since I've done a good search, but I'm sure there are plenty of beats you can DL.

• Members

As a beginner, I suggest getting a drum machine ONLY.

Learn to play on the different beats, off beats, etc. Get your fingers strong. Work on the basics until you have become comfortable with them, then move on to the next step. Work on octaves and playing root/5th/octave moves to strengthen fingers. Learn to attack the strings properly with your fretting hand and to play the notes evenly with your finger/picking hand. Then, master dynamics. you can achieve a lot of different tones from how hard/soft you attack the strings and how/where you fret the note.

Then, turn on the TV or radio and try to play to whatever music is on---whether it be commercials, music video, etc. This helps develop your ear.

I've played with other bassists who could do really kewl licks, but couldn't play a simple blues shuffle without screwing up. People comment on what a great bass player I am--and 90% of what I do is what I would call "basic" movements. I know my major/minor scales and use octaves a lot. Also, I work to lock-in with the drummer. Am I great? No, not really. But, I have mastered the fundamentals (or at least have tried). Michael Jordan and Dr. J could do AWESOME dunks, but they could pass, dribble, play defense, see the court, etc. better than anyone else too. Their dunking ability did not make them great---their other talents did.

Sorry for the lecture. hehe
:cool:

That's great advice. Learn the basics-major and minor scales, maybe minor 7th, and how to work the beat, and you can play anything with anybody.

• Members

I'm with the other guys - go straight into the amp for a while first.

And, take this advice from someone who bought a bunch of cheap pedals to have a bunch of mediocre tones over a few really good ones; SAVE FOR GOOD PEDALS!!! Don't cheap out on something because "it's the same thing in a different box." I did that and ended up selling most of the low-end pedals I bought, and now will have to start saving to rebuild my board with stuff that doesn't suck. I'll probably go boutique.

Basically, get decent at bass first, then start messing with effects. If I were you, I'd play straight in for a few months at the least, then buy one or two really nice effects.

:thu:

• Members

I'm with the other guys - go straight into the amp for a while first.

Basically, get decent at bass first, then start messing with effects. If I were you, I'd play straight in for a few months at the least, then buy one or two really nice effects.

:thu:

+1 thats great advice right there :thu:

...besides, there is no such thing as 'pedals for a beginner"...theres just "pedals"..............

Archived