Does mastering add "boominess" in the bass?

catphish

• Moderators

After that, I take a nap until it is time to listen to the final mastered tracks.

I'm with T. Alan on the importance of the mastering process. I love a lot of albums with absolute piss poor tracking, but great mastering, but there are very few albums I love that have everything done right other than the mastering.

• Members

Mastering is the LAST place to cut corners.

Here's the place we;re doing it at.

from his credits page:

*1 = Billboard #1 Chart Position (Contemporary Jazz)

*2 = 2003 Grammy Nomination (Best Engineered - Non Classical)

*3 = 2003 Grammy Nomination (Best Rock Instrumental Performance)

*4 = 2003 Grammy Award Winner (Best New Age Album)

*5 = CRIA Certified Gold Award

*6 = CRIA Certified Platinum Award

He's highly recommended. I don't know what else to do, to try and make sure he's good, aside from liking the final product.

• Moderators

He's highly recommended. I don't know what else to do, to try and make sure he's good, aside from liking the final product.

The only thing left to do is to NOT hold your tongue. If you hear something you don't like, speak up. It is your album. His awards most likely demonstrate that he can get the sound in your head on your cd.

• Members

Well, he should have his sh*t together. I'd just hang, be cool, and learn as much from him as possible...all the while making SURE your getting what you want. Humbly share ideas and be open to his suggestions. The middle ground should kick ass. :)

• Members

After that, I take a nap until it is time to listen to the final mastered tracks.

I'm with T. Alan on the importance of the mastering process. I love a lot of albums with absolute piss poor tracking, but great mastering, but there are very few albums I love that have everything done right other than the mastering.

Yeah, it's amazing what proper mastering can do for poor tracking. Likewise, the better the tracking, the less mastering is required.

• Members

Seriously guys, I'm on my way tonight to my first date in 10 years... I don't need all the gheyness.
;)

Yeah... gotta keep that sperm count as high as possible, just in case.

Congrats on the date. Hope you have a really good time.

• Members

If the guitr player (or you) is worried that the mastering is adding boom listen to the kick drum, mastering s done to a stereo mix, isn't it(that's how we;ve always done it) so if your mix is how ou like t, the mastering should only clean it up a bit and any added boominess will be present in the kick drum as well....

Archived