Jazz Bass Book

phicks85

• Members

I am looking for a good book or two to get me started on Jazz Bass.

I have been playing bass in a rock band for a year now but I am a clarinet performance major in my 5th year (done this year hopefully) and I need an improv. credit to graduate so I am going to play bass in a combo next semester.

I know taking lessons from someone would be the best way to learn but that just isn't possible for me...no time. So any suggestions of great books would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

• Members

Jamie Aebersold (excuse any misspelling)

...I don't know if they still do, but they use to have books with record package (yep I'm talking vinyl days) where the bass was on just one side but piano and drums on both, so you could listen to the bass or take it out ...and the guys doin' the playin were HOT ( Ray Brown etc..)

• Members

Here's one to look at:

http://www.amazon.com/Evolving-Bassist-Rufus-Reid/dp/0967601509/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-7586071-1542849?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188537840&sr=8-1

I bought that when I was first taking lessons ...but hardly used it...a lot of it was geared for upright stuff. There was only 3 pages showing an electric bass, and for a 15 yr old, I wasn't impressed, but now (as a 41yr old) I would love to re-visit it, especially the DVD.

when I got that book, the CD hadn't been invented (or mass marketed) let alone the DVD. So I'd say :thu: ...absorb as much as you can

• Members

I am looking for a good book or two to get me started on Jazz Bass.

I have been playing bass in a rock band for a year now but I am a clarinet performance major in my 5th year (done this year hopefully) and I need an improv. credit to graduate so I am going to play bass in a combo next semester.

I know taking lessons from someone would be the best way to learn but that just isn't possible for me...no time. So any suggestions of great books would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

I'd suggest MusicDojo.com

At least check out the curriculum in the jazz improv courses taught by Adam Nitti, Cliff Engel or Mike Pope. You don't have to start with the most basic lessons and work your way up. If you can hang with II and think it'll do you some good, jump in. (Pope's Improv III isn't available yet.)

http://www.musicdojo.com/courses/Catalog.asp?affiliate=

Archived