My next project

Optimus Prime

• Members

I'm building a pedal board. I've never owned any pedals. Here's what I plan on getting.

Aphex Punch Factory Optical Compressor

$99. Great reviews, easy to use, I like orange.

Dunlop Crybaby 105Q Bass Wah Pedal

$99 Who doesn't have a wah?

Dunlop DC-Brick Multi-Power Supply

$99 Gotta power everything. How would I connect every thing to it? Does it come with the cables? Or do I have to buy them separately at like $30 each.

Fulltone Bass-Drive

$199 Great reviews, apparently one of the best around.

Pedal Tuner (Guyatone Micro Series MT-3 Micro Tuner, Boss TU-2 Chromatic Stompbox Tuner, Korg DT-10BR Chromatic Pedal Tuner)

$99 All the same price. I'd like to to not {censored} with my tone. That's really it, which one of these messes my tone up the least. Oh, and it should be pretty accurate.

Pedaltrain PT-2 Pedalboard with Hardshell ATA Flightcase

$189 Simple, hard case, plenty of room. How well does it hide cords?

I'd also like either a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, Boss OC-3 SUPER Octave, Boss BF-3 Flanger or a MXR M-101 Phase 90. Which of these is the most useful?

Any input is great. It all comes to about $784. I was thinking maybe I'd get a Sadowsky Outboard Bass Preamp too. That would bring it up to about $1023. I think that covers almost everything.

• Members

if you are worried about tone then I might suggest a custom looper , I use a simple one , it is just 2 switches , 1 x for the board so either straight to the amp or loop in the board and another that has silent tuning / tuner direct out . this loops the tuner out of the effects chain . You have some buffered pedals there which can in combination with different pedal output can change your tone and feel as well . So maybe a loop for every pedal and the tuner out and master loop will be the way to go :lol: I am actually going to redo my board one day with a loop with blend feature for my autofilter ;)

http://www.loooper.com/

bummer I just saw there he isn't taking orders now , I have purchased a few from him already , there are a few other loops out there though so do a google .

• Members

if you are worried about tone then I might suggest a custom looper ,

I'm not worried that bad. It's just that people tell me that if you have a tuner in your effect chain it can mess with your tone a little. I'd either put it first in the chain or last. If I put it first it should be more accurate. And if I put it last it'd have all those other pedals to run through, but then I could use it as a mute switch and cut off all the signal to my amp.

• Members

I'm not worried that bad. It's just that people tell me that if you have a tuner in your effect chain it can mess with your tone a little. I'd either put it first in the chain or last. If I put it first it should be more accurate. And if I put it last it'd have all those other pedals to run through, but then I could use it as a mute switch and cut off all the signal to my amp.

well I think so too , so I loop it out , I would rather use no pedals even a tuner if it sucks down the signal , I think this is in the top 5 things that piss me off , tone suckers suck ! All I'm saying is when your done if you hear or fell a good tone sucking then loop it out ! ;)

• Members

well I think so too , so I loop it out , I would rather use no pedals even a tuner if it sucks down the signal , I think this is in the top 5 things that piss me off , tone suckers suck ! All I'm saying is when your done if you hear or fell a good tone sucking then loop it out !
;)

Ok, thanks for the advice. Any of those on your list of horrible tone sucker pedals?

• Members

Ok, thanks for the advice. Any of those on your list of horrible tone sucker pedals?

yeah sadly one of my favorite , Vintage Ibanez Autofilter , nastiest tone sucker ever but when on it's pure magic this one would be better blended in to the straight signal , I'm sure I have others :mad:

• Members

Oh yeah, I don't have that brick , but I do have a Voodoo Labs Pedal power 2 which kicks ass big time , lots of cool features and comes with all the cables . Check it out

Lot more expensive. But if the Dunlop doesn't have any of the cables included, it would probably be cheaper to spend $70 more and have all the cables.

• Members

The DC Brick is the most reliable and consistent way to power your effects board. Forget the collection of unsightly wall warts ... the DC Brick will drive ten pedals or stomp boxes from the same source! More than a power supply, this box is a power conditioner as well. Unlike aging batteries, the Brick supplies predictable voltage at all times, keeping your effects consistent from show to show. Its FCLC (Foldback Current Limiting Circuit) provides ultimate protection against power shorts and overloads. Even at full load, you'll enjoy the quiet and cool operation of a fully regulated power supply. But since battery-powered effects rarely exceed 30 milliamps each, you're not likely to use anywhere near the Brick

• Members

Are you planning on getting all of this at once? I'd do one at a time to figure out how it works, if you need it, if it does what you need it to do, etc.

Also depending on how much protection you need, I got a decent pedal case from Rondo for like $40.

If you need any self adhesive velcro for your pedals, let me know.

Yo.

• Members

Are you planning on getting all of this at once? I'd do one at a time to figure out how it works, if you need it, if it does what you need it to do, etc.

Also depending on how much protection you need, I got a decent pedal case from Rondo for like $40.

If you need any self adhesive velcro for your pedals, let me know.

Yo.

God no, I was thinking Bass-Drive 1st, then Punch Factory, then Crybaby, PT-2 Pedalboard and DC-Brick at the same time, then the tuner, then later I'll go for one of those Boss or MXR pedals.

• Members

God no, I was thinking Bass-Drive 1st, then Punch Factory, then Crybaby, PT-2 Pedalboard and DC-Brick at the same time, then the tuner, then later I'll go for one of those Boss or MXR pedals.

Also you could check out the One Spot (or the other one exactly like it) for your power. It's like $40 and can power all your pedals. It's not isolated (or whatever) like the Brick or the like but I have yet to have a problem with it or heard any difference in sound compared to batteries.

Yo.

• Members

I don't know you or what you do, but I'd get the tuner first. If you grab a decent one, it might be the only pedal you keep years down the road.

Yo.

• Members

I don't know you or what you do, but I'd get the tuner first. If you grab a decent one, it might be the only pedal you keep years down the road.

Yo.

Where would I put the tuner in the chain? If I put it first it should be more accurate. And if I put it last it'd have all those other pedals to run through, but then I could use it as a mute switch and cut off all the signal to my amp.

• Members

The 1spot is a 1/3 of the price, but there's only 12 inches between the plugs. Could I weave the cable between the slots in the board?

Most likely.

Theres the option of plugging in various cables to power non-boss style PSA power, like for EHX or Line6 or whatever which, to me, is a big plus. The only difference between the brick and the 1spot is one has less power and is shaped like a brick. :D

• Members

Most likely.

Theres the option of plugging in various cables to power non-boss style PSA power, like for EHX or Line6 or whatever which, to me, is a big plus. The only difference between the brick and the 1spot is one has less power and is shaped like a brick.
:D

Haha, on the reviews on the brick no one has said that they have problems with hum. But the ones on the 1spot there were a few people who said it's unusable.

• Members

Where would I put the tuner in the chain? If I put it first it should be more accurate. And if I put it last it'd have all those other pedals to run through, but then I could use it as a mute switch and cut off all the signal to my amp.

I don't know where to put it since my tuner is in my rack. But I'm guessing that you could put the tuner anywhere and mute your signal. Check out the manual on where to put it for accuracy.

Yo.

Archived