Digital camera dilemma

no-logic

• Members

I am looking for an easy to use point & shoot digital camera. I am not photography savy at all. I'd like to get one with a 2.5" LCD window for easy viewing but what I am finding is that most cameras that I am looking at with the larger LCD window have no view finder. I have found that at times my current camera, which has a very small LCD, is very difficult to see the image on the LCD and it's nice to have the view finder. Will the larger LCD eliminate the occasional need for the view finder?

• Members

I use an Olympus C740 - It's a little bit of an older model now, but has both view finder and screen and an amazing level of clear zoom!

OlympusC740-1.jpgOlympusC740-2.jpg

Got it a few years back at a Sams Club store for $255... has lower pixel count, but is high enough to be clear on an 8x10.

$.02

• Members
I use an Olympus C740 - It's a little bit of an older model now, but has both view finder and screen and an amazing level of clear zoom!

Got it a few years back at a Sams Club store for $255... has lower pixel count, but is high enough to be clear on an 8x10.

$.02

That's about the size of my current LCD and it is hard to see especially outdoors.

• Members

Will the larger LCD eliminate the occasional need for the view finder?

Not really. It helps little... well, I guess it can help a bit. But when you are outside in the sun, there is still a lot of glare off the LCD screen no matter how big it is. So it makes it difficult to not only view the pics, but also taking pictures can be frustrating when you have a lot of glare.

And while it will be better for reviewing, I have found that even with a 2.5"+ LCD, there will still be times (albeit fewer) when it looks good on the LCD... but once you get it on the computer, it doesn't look very good at all.

I bought a Panasonic last year. It has a larger LCD screen, but no view finder. I really didn't like that, but... it has 6x optical zoom (+ 4x digital) and is a piece of cake to operate. I can cycle through the menu system and I know exactly what I'm doing. It's not all cryptic and {censored} like other cameras where you're constantly looking at the manual to interpret the menus. Very user-friendly and self-explanatory.

Those two things were the big selling points. That and it was only $130. So don't forget to take other things into consideration as well. Especially if you want it to be user-friendly. When I was looking, I found few cameras that were.

• Members
Not really. It helps little... well, I guess it can help a bit. But when you are outside in the sun, there is still a lot of glare off the LCD screen no matter how big it is. So it makes it difficult to not only view the pics, but also taking pictures can be frustrating when you have a lot of glare.

I bought a Panasonic last year. It has a larger LCD screen, but no view finder. I really didn't like that, but... it has 6x optical zoom (+ 4x digital) and is a piece of cake to operate. I can cycle through the menu system and I know exactly what I'm doing. It's not all cryptic and {censored} like other cameras where you're constantly looking at the manual to interpret the menus. Very user-friendly and self-explanatory.

Those two things were the big selling points. That and it was only $130. So don't forget to take other things into consideration as well. Especially if you want it to be user-friendly. When I was looking, I found few cameras that were.

So you miss the view finder? What model is it? Easy to use is a high priority for me.

• Members

If I were to buy a digital point and shoot, I'd go Canon. Very good imaging in a compact package - plus you can get lens-based image stabilization, which can help a lot for the kinds of photos you'll take with a P&S. Panasonic has put out some good stuff. Nikon's P&S offerings are lackluster.

The Canon A series is a good bargain if you don't need ultraslim. If you do need a thin camera, the SD series fits the bill. The SD 800IS and 850 IS are both good cameras, and I believe they both have optical viewfinders.

As PaulyWally said, the viewfinder is good for bright sunlight if/when the LCD washes out. Yes, it's cramped, it's dim, it looks like you're looking through a tunnel and you don't get to see focus points, but if it makes the difference between getting the shot and going home empty-handed, it's worth it. Big LCD's don't mean anything if they're not bright. Compacts are improving in this area, but you need to get it outside in real shooting conditions to judge this for yourself.

Dustin

• Members

So you miss the view finder? What model is it? Easy to use is a high priority for me.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3

I think it's discontinued now... but they probably have a replacement model with more pixels. The LZ3 is (only) 5 megapixels. Which is fine for basic photography... especially with the 6x optical zoom.

Correction... I bought mine this year. In February I think. 8 months before I bought it, it was selling for $230. So I think I snatched it as it was being discontinued.

The most difficult cameras to use (IMO) are Kodaks. When I was shopping, they were pretty frustrating to figure out. But all I did was play with every camera on the shelf. After a few minutes of going through the menu, you'll know if it's easy or difficult to operate.

I do occassionally miss the viewfinder. It's not often enough to bother me. Now, if the LCD broke... that might be another story.

• Members

My p & s is a canon. I really like the SD700 with IS built in. Canon P&S are all tried and true, plus, my big camera is a Canon also. I guess I'm biased.

I hear great things about Fuji F30. I havent' had a chance to play with it, but it's received raving reviews.

• Members

My p & s is a canon. I really like the SD700 with IS built in. Canon P&S are all tried and true, plus, my big camera is a Canon also. I guess I'm biased.

I hear great things about Fuji F30. I havent' had a chance to play with it, but it's received raving reviews.

What's your big camera?

And the Fuji F30 is supposedly great in Low Light with Fuji's Super CCD. If you shoot a lot of indoor photos, I'd look very hard at the F30. There was actually an article in one of the photo mags (Outdoor Photographer, perhaps) in which the author shot national parks with an F30. The photos looked good enough. However, the Canons are good all-around cameras.

Dustin

• Members

I have a 20D. It's not bad.
:D

Great info on the F30. If my little canon craps out, I defintely want to check it out.

Yes, the venerable 20D. After way too long on the market, Canon has finally given me a half-assed reason to upgrade from mine to their next prosumer camera. They're about to get eaten up by Nikon in the DSLR range, IMO.

• Members

Hey, it was top notch when I bought it 3~4 years ago.
:p

What are you rocking?

:D:thu: My comment on the 20D is more that the 30D is what the 20D should have been - it gave me (and a whole lot of other people) no real reason to upgrade. Canon rested on their laurels.

I have a 20D with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. Here at work I use a 30D with a host of lenses that I hate because my boss is cheap. :(

I also shoot film with a Nikon FM2n and several prime lenses.

Man, this thread just got a whole lot geekier... :)

• Members

$.02

spot on...i have the C765..but may go for this soon

51t%2B0S31q0L._SS400_.jpg

the SP550

• Members

We picked up a Fuji S6000fd 3 months ago and couldn't be happier. 6+ MP. 10.6 x optical zoom. 2.5" LCD + viewfinder. RAW capture. Face recognition. And the real kicker is the manual zoom on the lens just like our Pentax SLR instead of a flimsy switch on near the shutter button. Felt exponentially sturdier then the Cannon 3S and 5S IS in the same range. We didn't want to drop all that coin on a digital SLR since we have the Pentax and this is perfect for us. Picked it up for $300 with a $50 rebate from Fuji to bring it to $250.

Fujifilm-finepix-S6000-tm.jpg

• Members

:D:thu:
My comment on the 20D is more that the 30D is what the 20D should have been - it gave me (and a whole lot of other people) no real reason to upgrade. Canon rested on their laurels.

I have a 20D with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. Here at work I use a 30D with a host of lenses that I hate because my boss is cheap.
:(

I also shoot film with a Nikon FM2n and several prime lenses.

Man, this thread just got a
whole
lot geekier...
:)

Nice! I like the 17-85, but I didn't want to spend the money. My walkaround is a Sigma 17-70mm. I wish I got to use a camera at work. What do you do?

camera geeks to the rescue!

• Members

Nice! I like the 17-85, but I didn't want to spend the money. My walkaround is a Sigma 17-70mm. I wish I got to use a camera at work. What do you do?

camera geeks to the rescue!

I work in the communications department for the largest general farm organization in our state. I get to play with the (semi) expensive toys, really ;) The 17-85 is a nice walkaround lens, but it's a touch slow. I wish I could convince my boss to jump into something like a 5D with the 24-105 f/4L IS lens, but that's a no-go - especially since he winces at the thought of a $700 lens :cry:. Just no good options for me right now, IMO.

And to the OP:

What size/price are you looking at? The Fuji JRoll posted is a nice little camera, too if you want to go that route. If you're looking into the advanced P&S category, you can get an EVF (electronic viewfinder) like Mr. Crow talked about that works quite well (some even prefer it over an SLR's viewfinder). The question is if you want to deal with the size and/or weight difference over a small P&S and whether or not you'll be better served to spend a couple hundred more and jump into the entry-level SLR fray. Just depends on your goals, aspirations...and price range.

• Members

Lucky you. :mad:

I seriously considered the 17-85 before buying my Sigma. The slowness didn't bother me, as much as its hunting in low lights. I suppose Sigma isn't very good, either, but the sigma offered me f2.4 at wide.

The 5D is nuts! It's 1:1 crop, right? I don't care for all the new technology and bigger sensor, but 1:1 crop is something I would want, eventually.

• Members

Lucky you.
:mad:

I seriously considered the 17-85 before buying my Sigma. The slowness didn't bother me, as much as its hunting in low lights. I suppose Sigma isn't very good, either, but the sigma offered me f2.4 at wide.

The 5D is nuts! It's 1:1 crop, right? I don't care for all the new technology and bigger sensor, but 1:1 crop is something I would want, eventually.

Yeah, the 5D is FF. It's a big advantage to me as a landscape photog in my hobby work, so I could use the ultrawide L lenses to full effect. Yes, I realize I can buy alternatives for my 20D, but after using a FF viewfinder, it's hard to go back. Plus, it feels like an incredibly solid camera in my hands, much like the Nikon digitals.

The thing I don't like about most of the third party lenses (We have mainly Tamrons here) is the absence of full-time manual focus override. I hate having to flip a switch to correct backfocus or tweak the focal point. That, and focus speed can be dreadfully slow after using a full USM motor in my Canon lens. Hopefully third party manufacturers wise up to this.

• Members

I use a Canon A630. It's 8 MP, a decent sized screen and a view finder. It can be a little bulky, but it takes great pics...so I have no complaints. Most of the pics in my sig were taken with it. I'm not a photographer though...so I'm sure it can take better shots than what I have done with it.

• Members

Kodak Z612 6 mp 12X optical zoom. 5x digital zoom

35-420mm lens

2.5 inch LCD

image stabilization

SLR Like camera

easy to use, easy to print pictures

they call it EASYshare for a reason.....

I use the Z612 as a back up to my Pentax K100D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_z612.asp

photo taken with the Z612

100_1556.jpg?t=1189017296

phot taken with the Pentax K100D

FloridaVacation061.jpg?t=1189017359

Archived