Fingerstyle Question : How many fingers do you use?

BlueEcho811

• Members

2 or 1. I often find myself using 1 and then remind myself to alternate. Still, like others said, sometimes the index has more dexterity and is best alone for slower lines. In rare slaping, I use thumb and index. In my early playing, I used a pick and would sometimes pop a note on the G string with my pinky.

I think I going to have to try using three for triplets.

• Members

i've never had a need for a pick. i haven't found a song that i need one for and it looks so retarded to see some dumbass up there pounding away on a P or J with a pick.

i do use a pick when i play guitar about half the time.

i don't use a pick on drums or keys either.

• Members

three, sometimes two

four on gallops and song ends

I tap my fingers on a table ring finger to index finger, and that's how I play bass usually, ring to index.

I'm trying to model my fingerstyle like what Dusty Hill uses. I don't know if that's good or bad. :D

• Members

3 is better if you can pull it off IMO. Being able to use index, middle, and ring really helps for fast metal stuff (8ths and 16ths at 200+ BPM) and also for just flat out "tremolo picking" (which I do to keep up with my drummers kick when he does double bass rolls). Triplets are easier and I also find it makes more complex rhythms easier as well but there's nothing wrong with two fingers just ask Steve Harris for one...
:blah:

Yea see I picked up three finger style really quickly, and it has become second nature for me. I just didn't see many people doing it so I was wondering if there was an obvious downside to it. :confused:

Oh well, I guess its a good thing that I play with 3 then. :D

Archived