Fingerstyle Question : How many fingers do you use?

BlueEcho811

• Members

Index and middle, though I'll throw in the ring finger for galloping, train-wreck song endings.
:D

+1 especially on the train-wreck... :lol:

I normally use 2 fingers, but sometimes I'm lazy or its a slow slow song and I use 1. Other times, like Iron Maiden type stuff I've been known to use 3 fingers. :)

• Members

Do you think three plays faster than two? Which gives you more accuracy?

Proper 3-finger technique will of course play faster than proper 2-finger technique. 3-finger will probably give you more accuracy, and will be less physically exhausting. That said, it is a lot harder to learn and master the 3-finger than the 2-finger.

I myself am starting to use three fingers more and more often, but I use two the majority of the time.

• Members

Do you think three plays faster than two? Which gives you more accuracy?

I am still kind of a newbie bassist (playing for a year) so I am trying to figure out my style.
:D

3 is better if you can pull it off IMO. Being able to use index, middle, and ring really helps for fast metal stuff (8ths and 16ths at 200+ BPM) and also for just flat out "tremolo picking" (which I do to keep up with my drummers kick when he does double bass rolls). Triplets are easier and I also find it makes more complex rhythms easier as well but there's nothing wrong with two fingers just ask Steve Harris for one... :blah:

• Moderators

I use 3 most of the time. Sometimes I will just use my thumb, some others I will go picking style with all 5 of them.

It's not really a speed issue for me, more a matter of comfort and tone. Some songs sound better with just one finger.

Preach on. As my playing matures, I've been using one finger more and more. This strikes me as odd since I spent so much time my first several years of playing to conscientiously use alternating fingers, but I don't think it's me just being lazy, I think I like how it plays/sounds. I am never one to use a three or four fingered technique for speed, but there isn't a finger or other part of my hand that doesn't get used to play.

• Members

If I'm not thumbing I use two, but switch to one, if palm muting. Can't seem to get the second one rolling with my palm on the strings, unless I'm playing notes on the E and the A strings at once.

Then again, I'm in my first year of serious playing too.

I have seen Billy Sheehan use all four with his thumb on the pickup.

• Members

I use as few as necessary. Some of my basslines have 3 string jumps, and being able to use my ring finger is a godsend. Some songs can be played using just my pointer finger, and sounds best when I do so.

I highly recommend becoming proficient with 3 fingers on your right hand; once you get it down, you'll only really use it when you need it, but it's nice to have in the arsenal.

C7

• Members

Preach on. As my playing matures, I've been using one finger more and more. This strikes me as odd since I spent so much time my first several years of playing to conscientiously use alternating fingers, but I don't think it's me just being lazy, I think I like how it plays/sounds. I am never one to use a three or four fingered technique for speed, but there isn't a finger or other part of my hand that doesn't get used to play.

+1. I can use three for downstrokes, and the nails of those fingers for upstrokes which makes for some really fast, fluid runs. However, the recent times I've been complimented on groove and tone is when I've just used one to two fingers just to hammer out the rhythm. It's more to do with what sounds good for the song, and less about worrying about whether or not I'm using my "full" technical abilities.

• Members

usually just the 2: index and middle but I can use all 4 and thumb for slap.

My first teacher taught me about using 4 fingers....when you strum your fingers on a table top, the natural way is pinkie first then each to the index. So use that if you want to play super fast or furious like 'Run to the Hills' ( Iron Maiden).

I also teach not to clench the 2 unused fingers into your palm - leave them slightly curled and relaxed ....they're so useful for dampening strings or slipping in that extra note

Archived