A Legal Question, or - Is posession 9/10 of the Law?

Phantasm

• Moderators
You or your friends borrow money, refuse to repay it, threaten to show up with the cops to retrieve collateral and still remain friends? Who needs people like this a friends?
:confused:

If arguing is being an asshole, well, grow up.

Sorry, I edited my post to clarify my point.

You are certainly welcome to argue with me, even better if we can discuss without argument. Different points of view or understandings are necessarily arguments and I just honestly want to understand your point of view here.

To me, it sounds like there were probably some emotionally charged circumstances surrounding the band member leaving, the gear being held, etc. If the band members can hold onto the gear, let the guy know he can get his stuff back without incident if he returns what is theirs, it might go a long way to calming the situation. Pretending the stuff was stolen is likely to escalate the situation. If the guy is a jerk, he's a jerk and there is nothing they can do about it. But, it it is just a situation that is spiraling out of control, they might be able to save it from getting ugly by being upfront and not playing games.

My point is that being underhanded is immature. I don't see how that is debatable? :confused:

• Members
Sorry, I edited my post to clarify my point.

You are certainly welcome to argue with me, even better if we can discuss without argument. Different points of view or understandings are necessarily arguments and I just honestly want to understand your point of view here.

Arguing isn't necessarily a negative. I, my friends and colleagues argue all the time. When you present papers you can expect it. Some scientists/physicists/engineers are real assholes but the tomatoes that matter are the ones that stick. It's not personal and neither is this. But telling a others to "grow up" sounds like pontificating to me.

To me, it sounds like there were probably some emotionally charged circumstances surrounding the band member leaving, the gear being held, etc. If the band members can hold onto the gear, let the guy know he can get his stuff back without incident if he returns what is theirs, it might go a long way to calming the situation.

My impression was this is what the lenders requested and the borrower instead threatened to bring the cops.

My point is that being underhanded is immature. I don't see how that is debatable?
:confused:

I never advocated pretending the stuff was stolen. I think lying to the cops about this would be detrimental to their situation.

If I were in the position of the borrower, I wouldn't expect to get my stuff back and until I repaid the loan. That's fair. If I choose to not only not repay the loan but also proclaim I have no intention of paying it back while also threatening the lenders then I can expect to be treated accordingly. That's life. The borrower needs to pay up. That's my position.

• Members

probably pointless but how much cash are we talking about ?

That's the other rub - $350. I told the remaining two band members to consider splitting the loss a $175 "life lesson."

The lesson being, of course, don't loan money to anyone that you don't want to see again. But, these guys are younger, and $350 is like $3500 to them, i guess. Hell, I spent more than that this week on an Aria Pro that I had to have shipped from Japan because I just wanted to play with it.

It's also been amusing to read this thread and see all the responses from people who didn't bother to read the original post and see that I'm not in the band, this doesn't directly involve me other than trying to help a friend!

Then Kindness got smacked from the blindside with some criticism, which was really uncalled for. Kindness is good people.

• Members

"What stack?"

Bingo. Never saw it. No clue what he's talking about. In fact, where are our {censored}ing mic stands?:D

It's underhanded, but so is not repaying the loan and then showing up with the cops to get the gear. I don't consider that to be teenage bull{censored} at all, I consider it not letting someone walk all over me. Two wrongs don't make a right but I'd sleep better at night knowing that I didn't let someone take me for a sucka.

C7

• Members
Bingo. Never saw it. No clue what he's talking about. In fact, where are our {censored}ing mic stands?
:D

It's underhanded, but so is not repaying the loan and then showing up with the cops to get the gear. I don't consider that to be teenage bull{censored} at all, I consider it not letting someone walk all over me. Two wrongs don't make a right but I'd sleep better at night knowing that I didn't let someone take me for a sucka.

C7

:D

• Members

Then Kindness got smacked from the blindside with some criticism, which was really uncalled for. Kindness is good people.

I didn't smack Kindness "from the blindside". He dished out some criticism and I'm sure he's thick-skinned enough to take some himself. Even good people are open to criticism and Kindness is good people. :thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

That's the other rub - $350. I told the remaining two band members to consider splitting the loss a $175 "life lesson."

The lesson being, of course, don't loan money to anyone that you don't want to see again. But, these guys are younger, and $350 is like $3500 to them, i guess. Hell, I spent more than that this week on an Aria Pro that I had to have shipped from Japan because I just wanted to play with it.

It's also been amusing to read this thread and see all the responses from people who didn't bother to read the original post and see that I'm not in the band, this doesn't directly involve me other than trying to help a friend!

yeah like it or not , life lessons .

• Members

Where did you say the fish was caught?

• Moderators
I didn't smack Kindness "from the blindside". He dished out some criticism and I'm sure he's thick-skinned enough to take some himself. Even good people are open to criticism and Kindness is good people.
:thu:

It's all good. Opposing, conflicting or dissonant points of view are often essential to further rational discussion. Add on the extra layer of miscommunication due to an imperfect form of communication and this stuff happens. :thu:

Archived